Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get my MacBook to default to my home network

I just switched from BellSouth (AT&T) to Comcast. I'm using their wireless router instead of my Airport. Whenever I close the laptop and reopen, it defaults to a neighbor's network, not the new Comcast router.

How can I make the new Comcast network the default one so I don't have to manually change it each and every time I open the laptop?

Thanks.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 1 GB Memory

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 6:31 PM

8 replies

Jul 22, 2012 6:47 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy - I'm kind of an old dummy so I didn't quite know what you were writing about. I don't know how to configure my network as the preferred one which is why I asked the question. I do have a W'PA security code.

I'll try Ralph's suggestion. Hopefully it'll work. Thanks for writing, though. (Senior moments come all too often these days, I'm afraid. 😁)

Mar 7, 2016 11:27 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Highlighting it is a temporary selection. You have to reorder the list in order of priority/preference and save. Highlighting does nothing outside its function as a selection for actions, like delete.

However, I run into this same problem time and again even though i've set up priorities, sometimes it connects to other networks regardless, because the 5G network isn't always detected though it is actually there, and also, sometimes the Ethernet is also set as priority, at top of list, it will default to the wifi connection when there are both thought the tethered connection is much faster.. I wish Apple would finally fix this.

Can't get my MacBook to default to my home network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.