Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems connecting to the internet for some devices through Time Capsule via both Wi-Fi and ethernet

Hi,

I have a latest generation Time Capsule (TC) that I connect to my ISP's modem, and everything was working fine - I was using the TC to access internet through both Wi-Fi (with a MBP, iMac, iPhones and an iPad), and there were a number of other devices connected via ethernet (both to the TC and the ISP's device).

I moved home this weekend, and we got an upgraded internet connection - this is provided through fibre optic to a router box. When it was installed, my MBP was able to connect to the internet via the TC. But a few hours later, seemingly as we tried to connect additional devices via Wi-Fi, devices just wouldn't connect. And before long, the TC itself was unable to connect despite the green light showing (it was saying that it had a self-assigned IP), although an ethernet cable connected directly to the ISP's router to my MBP was working ok (and my Apple TV started to work).

After reading online, I have managed to get the TC working again after disconnecting everything, waiting, connecting first the ISP's router and then the TC a few minutes later. I can now get online through Wi-Fi with my MBP, but... other devices connected to the TC are unable to connect to the internet (e.g. iPad via Wi-Fi, whilst the Apple TV and iMac won't connect via Ethernet or Wi-Fi).

On the iMac the IP address is listed as self-assigned (169.254.172.102 - this changes slightly if I try to connect directly to the ISP's router, but it still wont go online), Apple TV one is 169.254.123.15 and the iPad is 169.254.143.154. The Apple TV is connecting to the TC in such a way that I can stream the music from my iTunes collection on my MBP though...

On the TC, the settings are for connection through DHCP (IP address 42.2.126.100), with the TC's router mode off (Bridge Mode). The wireless network is WPA2 Personal (none of these settings have been changed since I moved home).

I'm going slightly mad, so any help would be much appreciated! It seems crazy that one day eveything works, and then after moving home I can only establish a single connection to the internet! My cable TV which is connected directly to the ISP's router via ethernet has been working fine through all of this btw.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 12:12 AM

The TC has to be in router mode.. you have only one IP address.. when you connected the device which jumped in first got it.. via the bridged TC.. nothing else can connect.

I believe Lion version airport utility tends to automatically set the TC to bridge.. dump that and get the 5.6 version for lion..

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1482

Press reset which will force the TC back to router and do the setup with 5.6. Keep it in router mode.. make sure the public IP ends up on the TC wan address.

Report back if further issues..

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2012 12:12 AM in response to lavetta

The TC has to be in router mode.. you have only one IP address.. when you connected the device which jumped in first got it.. via the bridged TC.. nothing else can connect.

I believe Lion version airport utility tends to automatically set the TC to bridge.. dump that and get the 5.6 version for lion..

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1482

Press reset which will force the TC back to router and do the setup with 5.6. Keep it in router mode.. make sure the public IP ends up on the TC wan address.

Report back if further issues..

Jul 23, 2012 6:23 AM in response to HACKINT0SH

So I finally managed to get things working again... I did a factory reset on the TC (by unplugging and holding the reset button when plugging back in), and then disconnecting everything and starting over. When the TC went to connect, it was trying to connect in PPPoE mode, but I left the username and password settings blank. Once it finished it's configuration, I went in to the TC settings in Airport Utility, and under the Internet tab, changed the Connect Using optino to DHCP. This time around, under the Network tab, the Router Mode was set to DHCP and NAT - previously it had been on Off (Bridge Mode). I'd tried changing this setting before, before only doing the reset seemed to get it working (finally)!!

In the end, there was no need to change the firmware for the TC (it's on the latest, 6.1).

Thanks for the help!

Problems connecting to the internet for some devices through Time Capsule via both Wi-Fi and ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.