Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command + Tab for Trackpad?

Is there a way I can access the command + tab menu for app switching on my Trackpad?

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 9:19 PM

Some trackpads can do application switching, some older ones cannot. (For instance, the Magic Trackpad I use with my Mac Pro can, but the trackpad on my circa 2006 MacBook Pro cannot.)

The specific gesture currently set to do it on your Mac should be in System Preferences > Trackpad. If that shows only one- and two-finger gesture settings, your trackpad is too old to detect three- and four-finger gestures. (My six-year-old MacBook Pro trackpad falls into that category.)

I'm assuming you are using Lion, since you posted in the Lion forum.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2012 9:19 PM in response to AA101

Some trackpads can do application switching, some older ones cannot. (For instance, the Magic Trackpad I use with my Mac Pro can, but the trackpad on my circa 2006 MacBook Pro cannot.)

The specific gesture currently set to do it on your Mac should be in System Preferences > Trackpad. If that shows only one- and two-finger gesture settings, your trackpad is too old to detect three- and four-finger gestures. (My six-year-old MacBook Pro trackpad falls into that category.)

I'm assuming you are using Lion, since you posted in the Lion forum.

Jul 22, 2012 9:48 PM in response to AA101

In Snow Leopard, a 4-finger swipe on the Trackpad would reveal the application switcher (the row of app icons you get with command-tab).

This feature was removed with Lion and Mountain Lion.

The only way to get it back is to use a 3rd party tool like 'BetterTouchTool'. Click the top left icon on this page:

http://blog.boastr.net

and it will download. The tool is currently free.

(Disclaimer: I am not connected with the developer in any way whatsoever)

Jul 22, 2012 10:02 PM in response to AA101

You're welcome.

You might need to experiment with the settings. In fact, due to Lion getting a bit confused about what the swipe gesture is supposed to do (even if you deactivate swapping desktops), I found that a three-finger tap works far more effectively and reliably, but you can define your own gestures in BetterTouchTool, whatever works best for you.

Command + Tab for Trackpad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.