Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs Bought from Itunes on my new iPad won't transfer to iTunes.

I have a major problem. I have never been one to download music for free. I dont have a problem with other people that do it, its just a moral ethical thing for me as I am an author who sells digital property and wouldn't want someone stealing my books. Anywho, All of my music is bought from my iPad on iTunes.

Today, I went to back up my new iPad onto my PC and it kept comming up as "these songs couldnt be synced" or somthing to that effect. Which I just figured at first, it was a glitch. But then As it kept going, I realised it wasn't downloading ENTIRE boughten-on-itunes Albums, including one I just purchased, and two i purchased about a week ago. My friend just kept telling me it was because it was shared music, but it wasnt! All my music is bought off itunes!

To make matters even worse, When I checked my iPad, The music I bought was GONE! It's about 30 bucks worth too. I'm aware that I can just redownload it onto my iPad because it comes up as purchased under my account. But I really don't wanna have to do that every single time I sync my new iPad. Is there any way to fix this? or does anyone know whats going on? Does this happen to you? I don't honestly know what it could be.

Thanks!

iPad, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 10:34 PM

11 replies

Jul 23, 2012 10:55 AM in response to diesel vdub

Yes they are. And on my iTunes account, when I look at the purchases, it only shows the songs that weren't "error messaged"

It seems to me like the problem is it is taking what's on my computers iTunes and resetting my iPad to what's on my iTunes on the computer. When I don't really ever purchase anything from my computer's iTunes, I purchase things from my iPad's iTunes.

So essentially, I want change the relationship so the iPad changes the computers list of stuff and not the computer resetting the iPad to the previous list before I bought anything. Is there a setting or switch to flip for that??

Jul 23, 2012 11:40 AM in response to envy_274

If your iPad is set up to sync normally with your iTunes library any purchases you make on the devce should automatically transfer to your iTunes library at the next sync. Alternatively you can set up both computer and device to automatically download any purchases made on other, even if you don't get around to syncing them for ages.

If for some reason the iPad doesn't really treat your iTunes library as its "home" library, and threatens to erase content when you bring the two together, then see Recovering your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.

tt2

Jul 23, 2012 2:18 PM in response to turingtest2

so it should be updating the list on the computer right?

Because when i try to upload it to update the computers Itunes, a ton of the songs come up as if there is an error in downloading them to PC iTunes. so it gets rid of everything on the music section of my ipad that i didnt have before. my playlists or any alterations of them, and my music. its almost like its restoring my ipad to factory settings except it's not factory settings, its more like a period of time that i last uploaded it and it was still working (whenever that might have been.)

Jul 23, 2012 5:17 PM in response to envy_274

I suggest you use Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Reset Warnings and tick Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Devices > Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically.

Make sure your computer is authorized to your account, connect the device, right-click on it and click Transfer Purchases. Under the music tab make sure the playlist Purchased on X's iPad is selected to sync. Sync. Should be good.

tt2

Songs Bought from Itunes on my new iPad won't transfer to iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.