Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error coming up in Console every 5 seconds

I am getting an error that shows up every 5 seconds in the Consoleon my late 2008 MB running OSX 10.7.4

kernel: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR F1Mn kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff800ac25000

I'm wondering what this is and how I can fix it. Also, my computer is not sleeping when I have it set to. Would this be the cause?

Thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 10:04 PM

5 replies

Oct 5, 2012 11:49 PM in response to hicksbw

Well, that was easy! I just found the answer in another thread: apparently this comes from any one of the various fan control apps out there. I was using a preference pane called Fan Control, and as soon as I removed the pane and quit the associated Daemon, the messages stopped. I then switched to the latest vereion of smcFanCotnrol, which seems to work nicely and doesn't produce the errors.

Hope that helps!

Jul 11, 2013 3:14 AM in response to OtterWithPigs

Nice find, OtterWithPigs! I just had this problem start after I updated from OS 10.6.8 to 10.7.5, on a Macbook running Fan Control.

Though to totally rid oneself of Fan Control, you also need to trash the daemon file itself, at /Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon.

I recommend the superior "Macs Fan Control", which lets you select ways to control your Mac's fan(s) in order to get better cooling. It also displays the temperature in the menu bar of whichever of your Mac's temperature sensors you choose, and the RPM speed of whichever of your Mac's fans you choose.

Nov 15, 2013 5:47 AM in response to John Sawyer1

@John Sawyer1 : I had the same problem and ( like you said ) the solution is eliminate Fan Control

I have OSX 10.9 Maverics and I got this message (in Console) every few seconds:

15/11/13 14:22:50,000 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR TH0P kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff802af9b000

Procedure to eliminate FanControl

Open terminal and seach for FanControl:

$ ps -ef | grep -i fan

0 145 1 0 Gio12am ?? 3:58.07 /Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon/FanControlDaemon run

This tell me that I really have the FanControlDaemon running as pid 145.

Then I eliminate it :

$ cd /Library/StartupItems/

$ sudo rm -Rf FanControlDaemon/

and then kill the daemon:

$ sudo kill 145

WARNING: if you replicate this procedure the you have to use the PID you get from ps -ef instead of 145 !!! This number will surelly be different on your system.

This eliminate the messages fo me.

Side Note:

I also try to run the current version of another fan controll utility called smcFanControl (version is 2.4) it seem to not work in Maverics (no window) but it produce near the same message in Console:

15/11/13 14:19:35,000 kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR TC0F kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff802af9b000

For smcFanControl you got "ERROR TC0F" instead of "ERROR TH0P".

If you have this problem you can try to find and kill the process "smcFanControl"

Error coming up in Console every 5 seconds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.