11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2012 8:47 AM by artemfrombelgorod
artemfrombelgorod Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello! There is a problem ..
I bought a Mac Mini in 2011 [OS X 10.7.4], the monitor I have hooked up via VGA so Thunderbolt> VGA. All is well, but just can not see the boot screen. Power on the monitor blinks while the Mac is loaded, and when it loaded the desktop - the image appears. In what may be the problem? Thank you!

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • 1. Re: No picture at boot
    BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (116,470 points)

Does it show the screen on a Restart?

• 2. Re: No picture at boot

No, this always happens .. when you reboot, turn on and off when the screen is.

• 3. Re: No picture at boot

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

If 10.7 or more, reboot holding CMD+r down to boot from the Restore Partition, use Disk Utility there.

• 4. Re: No picture at boot

I tried to fix the hard drive, but also - when loading a black screen, the desktop appears and everything is fine (I am writing this with a Mac). When you turn, I see a gray screen with the drive gear .. Ie only with the inclusion of a problem. Maybe it's because I did not have the original cable? Just available from Apple was not, and I bought from another company .. Or the problem may be in the resolution of the screen? Or saving ...?

• 5. Re: No picture at boot

It easily could be the cable, or the resolution at startup.

Have you tried other, maybe lower Display rez to test with?

• 6. Re: No picture at boot

Changed permission up to 800х600 - without results. The monitor writes "An energy saving mode" and all. There are still ideas?

• 7. Re: No picture at boot
    Tony_Couch Level 2 Level 2 (155 points)

SMC Reset?

• 8. Re: No picture at boot

Good idea to try...

Resetting MacBook and MacBook Pro & other Intel-based Macs System Management Controller (SMC)...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

• 9. Re: No picture at boot

Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve

1. Shut down the computer.
    2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
    3. Wait fifteen seconds.
    4. Attach the computer's power cord.
    5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

??

Just tried, all and remained. Everything can after OS X 10.8 installation will rise on the places... But this screen differently I is necessary to me I can not to start BootCamp

• 10. Re: No picture at boot

Does.the Botcamp show as a boot option if you hold Option or alt key at bootup?

• 11. Re: No picture at boot

I'll try. But I do not know ...

Updates by 10.8 did not change anything ..