Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule as only a wireless backup drive, but not a wireless router?

So I just switched to AT&T U-verse from my prior DSL connection. The U-verse modem has a wireless router built in. That's great, but I've been using an Apple Time Capsule as my wireless router (with my old DSL modem plugged into it). I had hoped that I could just plug the Time Capsule nearby in a more secure location and where it would keep backing up my MacBook with Time Machine.

Well, that didn't happen. I hooked up the new AT&T U-verse modem / wireless router and it works quite well. So I took the Time Capsule to a nearby room, plugged it in...and blinking amber light. Hmm. Rebooted everything x3, still not recognizing the Time Capsule.

So yesterday I walked down to the Apple Store and asked what I needed to do to get it back up and running -- not as a wireless router, but only as a wireless backup drive. The tech guys conferred and finally explained to me: (1) I'm the first person to ever ask them how to use a Time Capsule as a backup drive but not as a wireless router; and (2) that it's not possible. According to them it -must- be plugged into the modem in order to function as a wireless backup drive; otherwise, I can only use it as a backup drive if I plug it into my computer with an ethernet cable. Which defeats the purpose of a wireless backup drive. (At this point I'm going to remind everyone that Apple advertises Time Capsule as "Automatic wireless backup for your Mac.")

I'm a little disappointed here. It's hard to believe that this is correct; on the other hand, I assume the men in the blue shirts know what they're talking about. Is there a solution that they missed?

Thanks so much for any help.

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 10:34 AM

While it is certainly possible to configure the Time Capsule to "Join a wireless network" so that it acts like a wireless backup drive.....this is not officially supported by Apple......and you have to know a few tricks to set things up.

I do not recommend this type of setup for users for a couple of reasons:

1) Because it is not officially supported, the configuration is somewhat more difficult. You have to know exactly what type of wireless security setting that the Uverse router is using in order to the Time Capsule to join the network.

Most users know the name of the wireless network and password, but few know the exact type of wireless security that their ISP furnished gateways are providing.

2) In order to backup a file from your Mac, the signal must travel from your Mac to the Uverse router....one wireless hop....and travel again from the Uverse router to the Time Capsule.....hop two. Backups will take twice as long as normal and the chances of an error are doubled.

The first backup of the Mac...assuming you have maybe 50-60 GB of data on the drive.....will likely take at least 2-3 days, and you cannot connect to the Time Capsule using an Ethernet cable since the ports are disabled when you configure it to "Join" a wireless network.

If you want to try this anyway.....second warning here that this is not recommended.....we can give you a few tips that might help. But since this is not supported, there will be no guarantees...and no support from Apple in the event of problems.

Your decision.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2012 10:34 AM in response to Dave314

While it is certainly possible to configure the Time Capsule to "Join a wireless network" so that it acts like a wireless backup drive.....this is not officially supported by Apple......and you have to know a few tricks to set things up.

I do not recommend this type of setup for users for a couple of reasons:

1) Because it is not officially supported, the configuration is somewhat more difficult. You have to know exactly what type of wireless security setting that the Uverse router is using in order to the Time Capsule to join the network.

Most users know the name of the wireless network and password, but few know the exact type of wireless security that their ISP furnished gateways are providing.

2) In order to backup a file from your Mac, the signal must travel from your Mac to the Uverse router....one wireless hop....and travel again from the Uverse router to the Time Capsule.....hop two. Backups will take twice as long as normal and the chances of an error are doubled.

The first backup of the Mac...assuming you have maybe 50-60 GB of data on the drive.....will likely take at least 2-3 days, and you cannot connect to the Time Capsule using an Ethernet cable since the ports are disabled when you configure it to "Join" a wireless network.

If you want to try this anyway.....second warning here that this is not recommended.....we can give you a few tips that might help. But since this is not supported, there will be no guarantees...and no support from Apple in the event of problems.

Your decision.

Jul 23, 2012 11:01 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob, thanks very much for your thoughts. I'm not interested in doing something that compromises security or the quality of the backup, so I'll probably pass on the unofficial setup.

I guess what's jumping out at me is that there seems to be an unspoken assertion that the Time Capsule must in some way function through the ISP modem, whether directly or through some wireless connection. Why is that the case? Again, this seems to run contra to the marketing of Time Capsule. What if (don't laugh) I didn't have an internet connection at all and just wanted a wireless backup drive to store in another room in the house? Would it even function?

One last question: If I go the "official route" and hook the Time Capsule up via ethernet cable to the U-verse modem, do I need to do anything else to get the Time Capsule working as a backup drive? I see references to the "bridge" setting here an elsewhere - what's that about?

Again, thank you very much.

Jul 23, 2012 12:14 PM in response to Dave314

I guess what's jumping out at me is that there seems to be an unspoken assertion that the Time Capsule must in some way function through the ISP modem, whether directly or through some wireless connection. Why is that the case?

The Time Capsule is both a very good wireless router (much faster than the Uverse) and a hard drive. So, it is designed to work with a modem. The Uverse is more than a simple modem, but the Time Capsule can connect to any of the LAN Ethernet ports on the Uverse gateway.

If you decide use the Time Capsule to provide the wireless network, you could turn off the Uverse wireless, or use that wireless network as a guest network.

Or, if you do not want to use the better, faster dual band wireless of the Time Capsule, you can turn off the wireless function on the Time Capsule and use it as a backup hard drive. In this case, you would be backing up from your Mac over the Uverse wireless network. It would be slower than the Time Capsule wireless, but it would work just as it does now.

This is likely what Apple means when they say "Automatic wireless backup for your Mac." That is exactly what would be happening.....plus you have the additional option to connect to the Time Capsule from your Mac using an Ethernet cable. Big backups like the first pass, when Time Machine copies everything over from the Mac...will go at least 2-3 times faster using Ethernet compared to wireless.

What if (don't laugh) I didn't have an internet connection at all and just wanted a wireless backup drive to store in another room in the house? Would it even function?

Yes, it would. You would do the same thing...configure the Time Capsule to provide a wireless network, except there would be no modem. There would be no Internet connection, but you could backup using wireless or the much faster Ethernet connection.

If I go the "official route" and hook the Time Capsule up via ethernet cable to the U-verse modem, do I need to do anything else to get the Time Capsule working as a backup drive? I see references to the "bridge" setting here an elsewhere - what's that about?

The Uverse will function as the main router on the network. You never want two devices both trying to act as routers on the same network, so the Time Capsule would be configured in Bridge Mode to allow the Uverse gateway/router to function as the main router on the network. In Bridge Mode, the Time Capsule simply passes through the routing information from the Uverse device to connected devices.

Jul 23, 2012 4:38 PM in response to Dave314

"on the other hand, I assume the men in the blue shirts know what they're talking about."

I've heard lots of conflicting info in this regard. I've been told all Geniuses are Senior Advisor AppleCare equivalent. On the other hand, I've heard that some of them running over the floor are simply hires from other sales depts, and really have little technical knowledge. Since Apple gives everyone the same blue shirt, it's a bit harder to tell for sure since we're dealing with such a secret organization here. In any case, the info you got was technically wrong, but as mentioned, isn't really supported so it could be the person knew better but just didn't want to tell you that this was possible. I was surprised thought that they claimed you were the first to ask that kind of question. I've set up TCs that way, but unfortunately it is NOT VERY RELIABLE, especially on Lion. Now, I know Apple advertises one thing on a box and then claims something else... unfortunately Apple still says a lot of BS, the problem is so many suckers fall for it. Like Mac OS X being the MOST ADVANCED OS IN THE WORLD.... (LOL!!!!!!) Sorry, but no real engineer would make such a claim, this was obviously as label dictated down from Marketing. Sun Solaris from 1.5 decades ago was more advanced, so sorry.

Aug 2, 2012 9:00 AM in response to Dave314

I just did this today. I too have AT&T with a combined modem/router but wanted to wirelessly backup my Mac to TC.

You set up TC as a wireless hub, but disable the internet on it through AirPort.

When you want to wirelessly backup, you need to change what network you're referencing from the AT&T internet to your TC. This of course disables internet while backing up and it is no longer automatic, but I can do it without having any wires.

I hope this helps.

Oct 18, 2012 1:45 PM in response to jlkrause

I am having a similar dilema now as Dave. I have TWC Roadrunner Service with Turbo (an extra cost of $10 more per month). I also have TWC Digital Phone. TWC provided me with the Arris TM602G cable/phone modem running on DOCSIS 2.0. I also have Time Capsule acting as my backup drive & wireless router.

I called TWC a few days back because I noticed my internet connection lagging when streaming videos, etc, and after a series of transfers from India back to the US (Tier 2 support), I was informed by the Sr. Technician that my Roadrunner Turbo performs at its optimum with a DOCSIS 3.0 device. He suggested that I upgrade/replace my TWC modem with a new modem that DOCSIS 3.0.

I went down to my local TWC store this morning to swap out my device with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem as suggested by TWC technical support. I told the store representative that I wanted the equivalent equipment of what I have but with DOCSIS 3.0 and that I had Time Capsule acting as my wireless router. The store representative stated that the only DOCSIS 3.0 supported devices that TWC has for high-speed/digital phone is the Arris Wireless Gateway (similar to what Dave describes above). I told him that would not work since I already have a router and don't need the Gateway device. I asked the TWC rep if I could just order my own modem from Arris and he stated they would not activate/provision an unsupported device.

So, now my Turbo speed service that I have been paying $10 more in addition to the standard fee per month is completely useless since my current modem is outdated and TWC does not have a similar replacement device (just the telephony modem w/o Gateway).

The TWC rep solution was to have two modems: one that runs my phone and one that runs my internet, which is ludicrous. Why pay for two modems and two modem lease fees (plus installation of another cable line to run to the second modem)? I'm becoming more convinced that these ISP providers are finding ways to soak it to consumers. I finally decided to get rid of the Turbo speed and return back to the standard package which does not require DOCSIS 3.0. It will also save me $10 extra per month. I told TWC its their loss because I am not interested in their current DOCSIS 3.0 equipment as it does not meet my needs and I want to continue using my Apple Time Capsule as it was designed to be used and not have to jerry rig it to get it to work correctly.

Oct 28, 2012 6:23 AM in response to Dave314

I was so frustrated with this issue. I was about 15mins from Jumping in my car and buying a Brand new Time Capsule.

I wanted to have the 2nd Gen Time Capsule on my ethernet wired network. I wanted the TC to serve 2 purposes:

1. A WIFI extender.

2. As a backup drive.

I did not need this to be the main router nor did I want it to be. I have a need for more ports and the gen of TC I have only has 3 Ethernet Ports.

I called applecare and my agent Dave gave me some really easy solutions to this issue. When you get a good Agent is can make all the difference.

I am posting some screenshots so you can see the settings he had me do. After that the TC works like a charm on the network.

If you do not see your TC on the network. Plug it in directly to your computer via ethernet to change the settings then place it back on your network. Make sure when you fnish changing the settings and you are adding the TC to your network that you connect your ethernet cable from the router or switch into the UPLINK Port on the TC. This very important if you want a roaming network. I love my Time Capsule and depend on it so when it went down it was a huge issue. I hope this helps my fellow Time Capsule users out.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Jan 27, 2013 4:21 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I want to connect my TC to my iMac via ethernet for backup. I have been using the TC on my wireless network, but I began having connection troubles. (I'm sure I screwed up the setup process.) Since I separated the TC from my router/modem, my internet connection is fine.

So, I'd really just want to have TC be my backup location. Do I first need to reset it? If so, how?

Thanks.

Time Capsule as only a wireless backup drive, but not a wireless router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.