Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You cannot install Flashback Removal Security Update on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update.

I have OS X 10.5.4

I am trying to run the Flashback Trojan Removal program and I could go as far as selecting my hard drive, and this is what it said.

Any idea what to do now? TELUS is going to dump me as a customer because of this virus, I need it off.

thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 12:35 PM

13 replies

Jul 23, 2012 3:01 PM in response to Tessabird

Tessabird wrote:

I have OS X 10.5.4

I am trying to run the Flashback Trojan Removal program and I could go as far as selecting my hard drive, and this is what it said.

Any idea what to do now?

That's an easy one. For more reasons than I can even think of you need to update to OS X 10.5.8 ASAP. You have missed a slew of Security updates by staying with this extremely old operating system.

Simply run Software Utilities repeatedly until it tells you there is nothing more to update. That will also run the tool you are trying to use. After that, make sure that Java (not Java Script) is turned off in all your browsers so you won't be in this situation again.

Edit: And one more thing. If you are able, update to Snow Leopard for $29 while you can and be much safer.

Message was edited by: MadMacs0

Jul 23, 2012 3:27 PM in response to MadMacs0

Thank you for your reply.

Also - I have tried to run the same flashback program on my daughter's newer mac (Lion) and it gets the same message about not enough volume - could the trojan have caused this message?

yes I agree I must update to newer software, problem is I dont have enough disk space.

Can you recommend how I begin to make more space so that I can upgrade?

I have moved virtually all my files over to an external hard drive, but it still says I dont have enough space

Last time I checked its a 2G hard drive and I have 995 MB Avail.

I heard something about running a program that deletes all 'double' files?

thanks again.

Jul 23, 2012 4:46 PM in response to Tessabird

http://www.bombich.com/

Tessabird wrote:

Also - I have tried to run the same flashback program on my daughter's newer mac (Lion) and it gets the same message about not enough volume

That is not what the message is telling you. It says that the volume you are trying to install it on does not meet the minimum requirements. That could mean space, but in your case it means that you are not running OS X 10.5.8, the minimum OS requirement. That could also be your daughters problem, but in any case you should not have a need to download and install that update manually, it is almost always best to use Software Update to tell you what you need for the OS version you are using.

And no, there isn't any malware currently known that would cause this.

Tessabird wrote:

yes I agree I must update to newer software, problem is I dont have enough disk space.

Can you recommend how I begin to make more space so that I can upgrade?

I have moved virtually all my files over to an external hard drive, but it still says I dont have enough space

Last time I checked its a 2G hard drive and I have 995 MB Avail.

That's more than enough space, but the installer needs to have contiguous free space available. I'm guessing you just moved those files to an external and the system has not had time to defrag your hard disk. And although the system does do a good job of keeping small file fragmentation low, it cannot handle large file fragmentation.

If fragmentation is indeed the problem, then there are a couple of approaches I can recommend.

Clone your hard drive to another external drive and then copy it back. Both Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper! are excellent choices for accomplishing this.

If you want to try to defrag the disk and don't already own a utility that can do this, then iDefrag is highly recommended.

Jul 23, 2012 4:48 PM in response to Tessabird

995 MB available is dangerously low, but can't be a 2 GB drive, you need at least 10-20 GB free space!?

Have you emptied the trash lately?

Open Activity Monitor, Show:>All Processes, click on Memory tab, do you have many Pageouts?

What is the totals there?

Click on the Disk Usage tab & report the numbers please.

Jul 23, 2012 6:01 PM in response to BDAqua

free 26MB

wired 173MB

active 1GB

inactive 773MB

used 1.97GB

page outs 168 KB

Space utilized 109.93 GB

Space Free 1.54 GB

so Yah Im guessing I have more than 2 GB of space... like 112 GB?

Yes trash is emptied. Have to keep it emptied and downloads cleared all the time. How can I tell what is on my disk that I dont use, dont need etc...? one time I went into my mother's laptop and started deleating up a storm only to find out later I erased important drivers and really screwed things up.

Jul 23, 2012 6:39 PM in response to Tessabird

I'd get rid of some big Movie or such first, then...

How much free space is on the HD, where has all the space gone?

OmniDiskSweeper is likely the easiest/best, and is now free...

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnidisksweeper/download/

And if needed, you can use Terminal to run it in admin mode to see files/folders your user can't see...

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/how_to_recover_missing_hard_drive_space/

Jul 23, 2012 10:45 PM in response to Tessabird

Tessabird wrote:

OmniDiskSweeper Requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later to run

I have OmniDiskSweeper v1.7.2 which runs on OS X 10.4 and above.

I Googled OmniDiskSweeper 1.7.2 and got several hits, but have yet located it. The MacUpdate link tries to locate it on the OmniGroup site and it isn't there. The c|net link says it's 1.7.2 but downloaded 1.7.1, instead. That should be good enough.

Jul 23, 2012 11:58 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

Did you click on Previous releasea on that link?

I know I did, but all the download links I could find on that page were for the latest version. I think I may drop him a note about that. I hate it when developers change their requirments and don't leave the at least one older version for those of us that can't seem to keep up.

Jul 24, 2012 11:09 PM in response to MadMacs0

I heard back from OmniGroup today:

...I'll talk to our web folks about adding a link to our software archive so folks on older OSes can grab the releases that work with their OS.

In the meantime, the software archive is at

<http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/software/MacOSX/>

and you can grab a copy of v1.7.2 from this link:

<http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/software/MacOSX/10.4/OmniDiskSweeper-1.7.2.dmg>

You cannot install Flashback Removal Security Update on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.