Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

automator to move files to external hard drive?

Is it possible to have "automator move files uploaded to my computer automatically from my phone, via motocast (Droid Razr Maxx) which sits in a "pictures" subfolder, and move it to the external hard drive i use to back up my macbook air weekly? I occasionally take photos and videos and were wondering if this is at all possible to do being that I only connect my external hard drive occasionally and not regularly. The external hard drive was partitioned to have a back up drive for time machine and another drive for other (pics&vids) use.

If it is possible can the automator task then trash all files in original pictures subfolder when task is complete to avoid any memory use on macbook air?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Processor 1.8 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 7:13 PM

1 reply

Jul 24, 2012 9:10 AM in response to sdiaz34

sdiaz34 wrote:

. . .

The external hard drive was partitioned to have a back up drive for time machine and another drive for other (pics&vids) use.

If it is possible can the automator task then trash all files in original pictures subfolder when task is complete to avoid any memory use on macbook air?

You really don't want to do that.

You'll have only one copy of the files, on the external HD. When (not if) it fails, they'll be lost. 😟

For best results, get another external HD for your photos. Then let Time Machine back up both your internal HD and the external. See Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #32 for details.

automator to move files to external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.