Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scheduling start up, shut down and internet connection without override

System:

I have a Mac on 10.5.8 and I have just purchased a new desktop Mac, and I need to be able to apply the solution to this question on both of those computers. I'll also be adding an iphone and ipad in the next couple of weeks.

Question:

I need to break a habit and to do it I need some external tools that I can't work around. I want to be able to schedule my computer to start up at noon and close at 10pm, without me being able to click a button or three to override it. I would want to set it for a week at a time and be able to renew at the end of each week.

Similarly, within the time the computer is on I want to schedule when I have internet connection. For example, Tuesday to Sunday from 12.30-2.00pm, 4.00-5.30pm and 7.00-9.00pm. On Mondays I would want additional access from 5am to noon (which I've just realised would mean that the start up time would need an exception for Mondays as well).

I can set someone up to do this for me remotely, presumably using Parental Controls (though I'm not sure they work with that kind of specificity) but I can see a hitch in that plan in that I would still want to be able to download software and apps (which require the computer's password which I presume the offsite person would use to set up and then lock the controls.

I've been using the app Self-Control for the past couple of days and it works....but. I love that I cannot override it, that's brilliant. However, it is still giving me access to some of the sites I've blocked. For example, on tumblr, my blog and dashboard are invisible to me, but I can see the blogs of others if I type in their blog address; I can understand that because it adds a variation to the address, but it seems to be random and constantly changing who and what I can see. Also, it is making a massive number of other sites not work properly (reverting to very old school black and blue Times Roman html), images aren't working and it's blocking sites I've never heard of, let alone put on my blacklist. Sometimes it will let me onto a site then kick me off a few seconds later or if I click onto another page. It is blocking a site I removed from the blacklist. I can't access Google Maps either. So, it has limitations.

My prime concern is limiting the times (not just the duration of access but the times of day I have access) the computer is on and that I have internet connection.

I hope someone similarly in need of breaking their computer/internet habit can offer a solution or suite of solutions.

Many thanks

iMac

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 8:18 PM

There are no replies.

Scheduling start up, shut down and internet connection without override

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.