Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can you take a screen shot without using your lock button ?

My lock button doesn't work and I don't know how to take a screen shot without using it . Help ?

iPod touch, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 12:29 AM

22 replies

Oct 1, 2012 11:01 AM in response to Babycakes18

I fixed my powerbutton easily with some

water repellent oil. I dont know what its called, it is that thing you use for locks and hinges anyway. My iphone powerbutton has been working for like 7 months now. There is no difference from when it was new! I can really recomend this. Just remember to turn of the phone and have it upside down when you spray. And dont use to much! Theres no need for more than a few drops.

Aug 15, 2017 7:11 AM in response to Cutyypiee

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but where or what is this "white button" everyone's referring to?

I too am trying to figure out how to screenshot as well as restart my iPhone when my power button doesn't work. Hard to follow these great tips if I am without this white button lol

Does anyone know what it will cost to get it fixed? Apparently there was a recall on this phone (iPhone 5) regarding the power button but my friend who gave it to me says he was turned away having heard about it too late.

Jan 17, 2013 11:12 AM in response to Babycakes18

You can take a screenshot without the assistive touch menu appearing. First you press the white button and the button on the right should say device. Click device. Then it takes you to another menu, press the 'more' button and then there should be a button saying 'screenshot'. Check your photo album and there should hopefully be a picture with the assistive touch menu. I hope this helps.

Jan 19, 2013 4:34 PM in response to Cutyypiee

"You can take a screenshot without the assistive touch menu appearing. First you press the white button and the button on the right should say device. Click device. Then it takes you to another menu, press the 'more' button and then there should be a button saying 'screenshot'. "

I have tried this. Once I click the 'device' option, my only choices are: rotate screen, lock screen, volume up, volume down, shake, and unmute, there is no 'more' option. Can you elaborate?

Jun 8, 2013 2:58 PM in response to Sara.pee15

Sara.pee15, as previously discussed, the original poster has a 3G iPod and those can only go to iOS 5.1.1. That iOS version does NOT have the option to use Assistive touch to take a screen shot. That option is iOS 6.

Sara.pee15 wrote:

Go to your assisted touch menu. Click "device". There should be a "more" option. In that menu, there should be a screenshot button

How can you take a screen shot without using your lock button ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.