Thanks for the advice - I tried to check my iPod in Diagnostics Mode but when I selected the IO > HardDrive > HDSMARTData option it responded with "Can't Open Device". Based on this I assume the hard drive is dead and will now consider if it is worth replacing or if there is better product on the market.
Colin, you got to select Manual test
- Take your iPod and place your right thumb on the centre SELECT button and your left on the top MENU button. Press down both thumbs for about 6 seconds until your iPod reboots and you see the Apple Logo
- Immediately move your left thumb around to the rewind button |<< on the left and hold this down together with SELECT for a further 6 seconds.
- Press MENU for Manual Test,
- then select IO > HardDrive > HDSMARTData to reveal your stats
You have done ok as you got till step 3, plz dont give up, try again.
Ok. Try this anyways. Download MacDrive Standard from the publisher´s website. It´s a trial version but it does the job.
1. Do not connect the IPOD to the PC yet.
2. Press and hold MENU and SELECT (at the same time) until the IPOD turns off.
3. As soon as the APPLE logo appears, press and hold SELECT and PLAY (at the same time)
4. This puts your IPOD in disk mode. It will say so at the top of the screen
5. Connect your IPOD to the PC and it should be detected.
6. Open MacDrive and format the drive as per previous instructions.
Hope it helps.
Hi Ermannie, I followed your advice and connected to my PC in Disk Mode. Windows gave me a message that the Hard Disk was not formatted, I selected the option to format the disk but it came back with "Hard Disk Could not be Formatted" so it stills looks like a hardware fault with the drive. However much appreciate the advice from everyone - I learned a lot about my iPod I didn't know before.
The fact that Windows recognized it in the first place is a good sign. The Windows format tools won´t help much, you need a Brute Force program to format at the lowest level.
Try this one as a last resort: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/
Best of luck