Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RMBP outputs YPbPr instead of RGB via Thunderbolt/MiniDP?

After hooking up my new RMBP to the external Dell U3011 30" monitor via "mini-displayport to displayport" cable, I'm shocked to find only YPbPr signals are coming from RMBP instead of the regular RBG when connected to its Thunderbolt/Mini-DP port.

This is creating problems when I try to calibrate the external monitor using X-Rite's i1DisplayPro calibrator, which just doesn't work right with YPbPr signals: colors are a bit off with oversaturated red.

Any workarounds to this? Someone suggested the Dual-Link DVI cable from Apple, but I've been reading Apple Store reviews that it won't work with RMBP, is this true?

Macbook Pro, Mac Mini, Macbook, iPhone4, iPad, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 1:11 AM

7 replies

Jul 24, 2012 2:30 AM in response to MacKyver

What other connectors are available on your Dell? Try Monoprice to look for adapters that may work. You could try this one or just search for "thunderbolt to dvi" to see the selection of adapters that they have that might work. You can also give them a call to see if they have knowledge of adapters that they know to work with Retina display models (although I don't see that it should make much difference).

Clinton

Jul 24, 2012 2:44 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Thanks for the link to the adaptor but these Mini-DP to DVI adapters can only support up to 1920x1200 (single link) whereas my Dell U3011 30" external monitor is 2560x1600 which exceeds its limits.

ps. after digging around MonoPrice, it seems the following Mini-DP/TB to DVI adapter may work for my Dell with its dual-link interface. But unfortunately this module needs a connections from USB, which will take up a slot on my USB hub. It's also backordered right now until middle of August!

Jan 30, 2013 4:58 PM in response to MacKyver

I kind of hacked my way around and got my Dell U3011 to properly display RGB instead of YPbPr (or YCbCr) over a mini display port to display port cable for my MacBook Pro Retina 15"! WOOHOO! no need for that stupid $150 dual link dvi to mini displayport adapter anymore, which was incredibly flakey and sometimes the monitor turned on, and sometimes it didn't etc... lots of problems.

Download the file from:

http://www.8mmdesign.com/u3011-rgb-ypbpr-fix/DisplayVendorID-10ac.zip

unzip into:

/System/Library/Displays/Overrides

It will create a new directory called:

/System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-10ac

Then reboot the system, and it should work. Go to system preferences, displays, color, and set the display profile to Color LCD.

This will *ONLY* work for the Dell u3011 and it is completely UNTESTED. Use at your OWN RISK. But you should have proper RGB colors after doing this.

Good luck!

RMBP outputs YPbPr instead of RGB via Thunderbolt/MiniDP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.