Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini shares accessible but screen sharing stops working

This one is really bugging me - we have a MacMini Server running OSX Lion Server here at our office. Every now and then the Mac Mini will suddenly dissappear from my sidebar and I can't access any shares or access screen sharing while my PC colleagues still can. Furthermore now I can access shares but can't access screen sharing.

The Mac Mini is running headless in a server room. Our last solution is to do a hard-reboot after which the Mini becomes perfectly responsive and will work with Sharing and Screen Sharing again.

I am accessing the Mini from a MacBook pro running OSX Lion. Any clues?

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 3:55 AM

5 replies

Jul 24, 2012 12:21 PM in response to d00t

Hi

There appears to be a problem with some (perhaps all?) VNC Viewers installed on PCs? I've seen this with TightVNC and RealVNC. What happens is a PC user will remote in, do whatever it is they want to do and then close the session. Unfortunately the session is still open server side and others wishing to do the same find they can't until they reboot the server.

Ironically this only affects PC users. Mac users are not affected. This is slightly different behaviour to what you're describing.

Strangely telnetting port 5900 is successful.

Solutions? Might be 'fixed' in the next update or perhaps 10.8? In the meantime use ARD or the mac OS to remotely manage the server.

HTH?

Tont

Aug 7, 2012 11:14 PM in response to EastcoasterWestcoaster

I had the same problem; and signing out of MobileMe worked for me.

Perhaps Screen Sharing prefers to use the now-defunct MobileMe for authentication if you're signed in (in preference to local login credentials on the VNC server machine)? This seems to have been a relatively recent change--I'm thinking maybe it's related to Apple's MobileMe decommissioning?

Jim

Aug 7, 2012 11:23 PM in response to jim.cheng

Where 10.6.8 is concerned, this worked but I don't know how 10.8 users are affected. I read in another forum that on August 1 or 2 Apple turned off the last piece of MobileMe, which apparently is what's causing the screen sharing problem. How being logged in to MobileMe affects my local ability to screen share? I will never understand. But if you hit a genius bar for help, or call apple support, do let them know about the signing out of MobileMe connection for other users: it might point them I the right direction.

Kirby

Mac Mini shares accessible but screen sharing stops working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.