Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Could not Connect to Server

How do i connect to server admin?

I Own mac mini server for couple of years now. but I never use the server feature.

Recently I've tried to setup the server. But it always fail to connect.

I'am new to server setup.

Can you guys help me with troubleshooting guides?

What the first thing I have to check? And whats the seccond step? 3rd step? ect.. ect..

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Server

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 2:55 AM

1 reply

Jul 24, 2012 7:04 AM in response to theo sudarja

For the full configuration sequence, see the OS X Server 10.6.8 Getting Started and related manuals.

The first two steps I use involve getting the IP network configured and going and ensuring that your server's DNS services are configured correctly and started.

DNS services are not optional. That service needs to be functional for at least the server's own local needs, and (once that's working locally, there's little reason not to set up DNS for the rest of the NAT'd network), or all sorts of other stuff goes weird.

From out here in the internet boondocks, server.sudarja.com is a CNAME, which usually means that DNS is incorrectly configured somewhere. Should you get around to SMTP, a CNAME will definitely blow up. In general, the server needs a DNS A (machine) record. It can then have zero or more CNAMEs.

To test your local DNS directly on your server, launch Terminal.app from Applications > Utilities and enter the following (diagnostic, no changes are made) command:

sudo changeip -checkhostname

The sudo there will prompt for your administrative password, and the command will then check and show you some details and whether local DNS is correct and no changes are required, or if there are DNS or network errors and changes are required.

Could not Connect to Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.