Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I will be using a Sony HDV Z5 this weekend to shoot a weeding. What are the best setting for this camera and what settings should I use when importing to FCE 4

I am shooting using sony HDV z5 What settings should I set on the camera before filming and what settings should i use in FCE4 when importing. ( no idea what interlaced or progressive is)

I think I should import using Apple codec 1080/50i or should I?. I want to film in HD rather than standart def so I have the option to burn to HDV later on. However for the moment as only burning to SD via the mac would this impact on the quality.

I want to get the best quality for export to Vimeo/Ipad and Iphone and Standard DVD

Look forward to hearing from you all soon

pete

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2.7 GHz intel core i5 4 GB 1333 MHz

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 7:04 AM

5 replies

Jul 24, 2012 10:05 AM in response to pete beggan

The HDV-Z5 is a PAL camcorder, so you should shoot HDV1080/50i. (The "i" means interlaced.) In FCE you will need to select the HDV Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i50 easy setup in order to capture this footage and edit it.

Do not shoot 1080/25p (the "p" means progressive) - FCE does not support 1080p25.

If you need SD (standard def) you can always downgrade the HDV footage to SD, but if you shoot in SD in your camera, your footage will always be the lower, SD quality no matter what you do to it later.

Jul 24, 2012 2:55 PM in response to MartinR

Thanks Martin. I will follow this. I seem to remember the option of "squeeze or letter box" what are they? I will record in HDV as well.

I normally have a few hours to play around but this time I a collecting the camera and driving 500 miles to film, then

return and will have a few hours to upload the camera before its due back so no time to experiment.

Pete

Jul 24, 2012 3:14 PM in response to pete beggan

G'Day Pete,

I'd suggest some time understanding the Z5 menu and options.

Even though you set up to shoot 1440 x 1080i (correct for HD FCE) you may end up outputting an incorrect format due to down converting options in the camera.

FCE requires the Sequence setting as per Martins suggestion.

When you want to create an SD DVD from HDV there are a few steps to make a better looking disc.

It's all on this forum if you want to search.

Al

Jul 25, 2012 2:06 PM in response to Alchroma

Thanks Al, to be clear, if i record in HDV (settings 1080/50i) as long as I import using the followoing setting in easy set up in FCE 4 "HDV Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i50" then i will be importing/editing in HD as recorded.

when I finish the project and want to burn it to a sd dvd using the driver in the imac is it the settings in export using a quick time or quick time conversion that need to be changed. whats best/what are they???

where do i change the down converting times options in the camera.

As far as i can see its better to film in HDV rather than SD as then I edit in HD and have the option later to burn to HD (as i get the kit) or it can be watched on the Ipad/ ATV in HD. But at the same time still watch on SD DVD

Do you know what setting I should use Letterbox or Squeeze. The person I am doing this for will just watch it on a standard DVD and on normal plasma telly.

sorry to keep asking

pete

Jul 27, 2012 3:59 AM in response to pete beggan

"Thanks Al, to be clear, if i record in HDV (settings 1080/50i) as long as I import using the followoing setting in easy set up in FCE 4 "HDV Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i50" then i will be importing/editing in HD as recorded."

Yes.

"when I finish the project and want to burn it to a sd dvd using the driver in the imac is it the settings in export using a quick time or quick time conversion that need to be changed. whats best/what are they???"

Quicktime Movie, don't use compression for DVD authoring.

"As far as i can see its better to film in HDV rather than SD as then I edit in HD and have the option later to burn to HD (as i get the kit) or it can be watched on the Ipad/ ATV in HD. But at the same time still watch on SD DVD"

Yes shoot in HDV.

What I would do in your case is Downconvert in the camera during capture to FCE. Use an Anamorphic Sequence setting in FCE and you will avoid artifacting on the final DVD.

You still have the HDV footage ready for making Bluray at a later date.

"Do you know what setting I should use Letterbox or Squeeze. The person I am doing this for will just watch it on a standard DVD and on normal plasma telly."

If you shoot HDV in the camera and use an Anamorphic FCE Sequence it will all remain in 16:9 format which will match the Plasma TV.

If you decide to use the 1080i FCE Sequence the Aspect Ratio will still be correct.

Al

I will be using a Sony HDV Z5 this weekend to shoot a weeding. What are the best setting for this camera and what settings should I use when importing to FCE 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.