Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S keeps connecting and disconnecting from Macbook Pro Retina Display

Hi guys,

Everything was ok yesterday but right now when I connect my iPhone 4S to my Macbook Pro Retina display (I've got it yesterday) left USB it keeps connecting and disconnecting. I'm on Lion latest update.

I've tested with another cable same result. Turned off and on both MBPR and iPhone 4S twice didn't help.

No the interesting part that may help: it works fine on my PC all three USB ports. It works on right USB port of my MBPR too. I've tested the left USB port (That has a problem) with other devices. I'm writing this post with an external keyboard plugged to this port. I've tested this port with my iPod Touch and it worked fine. Only happens with my iPhone 4S and this left USB port.

Any suggestion? Is it possible that the USB port not working well? Any way to assure it's fine?

Thanks alot.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 7:17 AM

20 replies

Jul 24, 2012 8:51 AM in response to Maziyar

UPDATE: I was running H/W test with my MBPR. I know I shouldn't plug anything but out of curiosity in the middle of it I plugged my iPhone to the left port that wasn't working and keeps reconnecting, and it was charging without any disconnecting. I don't know but I have a feeling that it has sth to do with OS X not the hardware.

But if there is any way to test USB port that would be good.

Thanks.

Jul 24, 2012 10:07 PM in response to Maziyar

UPDATE 2: The USB port works with another iPhone 4! Mine is 4S and it has iOS 6 Beta 3 installed.

One more thing. When I plug external Apple keyboard to the USB port, and then I plug my iPhone to the keyboard's USB port it works fine!

Maybe there is some sort of configuration or setting remains to that USB port. Maybe I should clear or reset those settings but how?!

Jul 24, 2012 10:54 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Thanks Clinton for reply (I was hoping that you reply 🙂 )

So you think it's a hardware issue? I checked the port with almost everything. iPhone, iPod, hard drive (USB 3 and tested with BlackMagic and it was full rate), and external keyboard. It works fine with all of them but only with my iPhone 4S (iOS 6) when I connect it directly to this port.

Thanks.

Jul 24, 2012 11:08 PM in response to Maziyar

The debates have been going on, back and forth, as to whether it's a hardware or software issue. Some that had the 2012 models had luck with the July 18th Software Update. It seemed to have 'fixed' some of the USB glitches. Whether Mountain Lion will go further is anyone's guess until it's released in 5-6 hours (hopefully).

Just do the ML update and if that doesn't fix the issue you have two Apple products that you can take to the Apple Store!

Clinton

Aug 6, 2012 1:36 AM in response to Maziyar

Hello all again!

I have made a clean ML installation and all it is the same, at first it went ok for some minutes, but after the connecting and disconnecting issue appeared again, I have reseted the NVRAM/SMC several times with any result.

I am waiting an Apple response for one week, so it would be great if you made pressure to Apple too.

So, to sum up:

Left USB with clean Mountain Lion installation in a MacBook Pro Retina doesn't work well. Iphone 4S and some usb deveces keep connecting and disconnecting. If you put these devices across a hub it works ok. I have tried other MacBook Pro's with Retina display even CTO like mine (2.3Ghz, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD) and they don't have that weird issue.

To clarify all possible situations, at first i did the update, not the clean installation with the same results. I think Apple has to take actions with people like us and clarify if it is a software or harware issue.

Thanks for your support guys!

Aug 6, 2012 1:51 AM in response to Maziyar

One question:

Which manufacturing date is your rMBP?

Mine is week 28. In order to do a DIY research about if it is a Hardware or Software issue, we could compare our manufacturing dates.

For getting the information you need your S/N and put it into that web page:

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

My information:

Model:- MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) (CTO)
Codename:- No codename assigned.
Build Country:- This unit was built in China
Build Year:- This unit was built in the second half of 2012.
Build Week- Week 1 (January) or week 28 (July)
Production Nr.:- This unit was number 1205 to be built that week.

I hope Apple is reading us....

Aug 7, 2012 2:05 AM in response to Maziyar

UPDATE: I bought my rMBP through a premium reseller here in Spain, so Apple has told them to revise my notebook with all their test suites in order to say me if it is a SW or HW issue. I have to erase all my disk and so that....... I am very sad, because it means the notebook has to be opened and there is no direct replacement....if something is faulty they will replace only the faulty component. My fear is how they will take care of my MBP (scratches and similar stuff).....

Could I speak directly with Apple Care and avoid the described procedure?

Any updates for you men?

I am very sad... 2K+$ notebook and that weird issues......and the worst of all is that they told me "There is no direct replacement because it is a CTO machine...." Same situation for you?

Thanks for all and I hope we can find a solution for all.

Aug 7, 2012 3:44 AM in response to Maziyar

It seems we have an issue in common.

I have another discussion going "MacBook Pro randomly disconnects USB devices".

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4173142?answerId=19179942022#19179942022

I have problems with my iPod 4 disconnecting from iTunes during sync. I first noticed the problem trying to download images from a USB CF card reader and ended up buying a new card reader only to have exactly the same problem.

Looks like the problem goes beyond my or your particular hardware configurations.

This is a problem I never had before with my MacBook Pro (and the same USB devices) under Snow Leopard. Now with Lion....

iPhone 4S keeps connecting and disconnecting from Macbook Pro Retina Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.