Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking for help with time machine

I am a not a tech guy and looking for help with time machine. It has been working fine until a couple days ago. The error says the back up is too large. I have not added or changed anything. Looking in the preferences excluded is virtual machine (Fusion) which is 59.13 GB. The error reports the back-up required is 70.76 GB and only 37.73 available. Looking for a direction to correct the error.

Thank you in advance for any help.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 11:39 AM

5 replies

Jul 24, 2012 3:24 PM in response to BDAqua

Tried your idea and now time machine does not see the back-up disk. I look in finder and it tries to connect and the connection fails. I plugged the back up disk into a laptop and it see it but also fails to connect. I that enough evidecne to suggest the back up disk has failed? Time Machine preferences does not see the back-up disk as an option? Again is the problem likely the back-up disk?

Jul 24, 2012 5:34 PM in response to dennisfromdove canyon

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

Drag or copy — do not type — the following line into the Terminal window, then press return:

sudo tmutil compare

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up.

The command will take at least a few minutes to run. Eventually some lines of output will appear below what you entered.

Each line that begins with a plus sign (“+”) represents a file that has been added to the source volume since the last snapshot was taken. These files have not been backed up yet.

Each line that begins with an exclamation point (“!”) represents a file that has changed on the source volume. These files have been backed up, but not in their present state.

Each line that begins with a minus sign (“-“) represents a file that has been removed from the source volume.

Files that you’ve excluded from backup, or that are excluded automatically, are ignored.

At the end of the output, you’ll get some lines like the following:

-------------------------------------

Added:

Removed:

Changed:

These lines show the total amount of data added, removed, or changed on the source(s) since the last snapshot.

Looking for help with time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.