Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

enter your system lock pin code to unlock this mac

I just traded my Macbook Pro for a 27" Core i5 iMac. I wiped the iMac when I traded and I brought it home to do a full reinstall. I booted holding the Option key down and noticed this iMac had a recovery partition I opted to use the recovery partition to reinstall. To my surprise it was Lion. And the cd was snow leapord. I was cool with that and signed in and used the computer all day. Then sometime while I was sleeping a obnixious alarm went off on the iMac and there was a box to enter your system lock pin code to unlock this mac.

Priding myself on doing all repairs on my own since my primary job is reinstalled and virus removal. Long story short I could not access anything no matter what I tried. I ended up calling apple care and asking what needed to be done they explained I needed to bring it to a apple authorized store and they would have to unlock the firmware.

Do you guys know what they are talking about or is there anything I can do before driving 100 miles to my nearest apple store. I find this rediculous.

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 2:25 PM

This looks to me to be a Find My Mac issue. I'm not too familiar with how it works so maybe someone knowledgeable will chime in here. From what I read, it seems if you lose your Mac you can lock it or erase it. This one's been locked. The code is the one entered when it was locked using iCloud.

About second to last post here...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3719842?start=15&tstart=0

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2012 2:25 PM in response to tommyarmour

This looks to me to be a Find My Mac issue. I'm not too familiar with how it works so maybe someone knowledgeable will chime in here. From what I read, it seems if you lose your Mac you can lock it or erase it. This one's been locked. The code is the one entered when it was locked using iCloud.

About second to last post here...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3719842?start=15&tstart=0

Jul 24, 2012 3:18 PM in response to BDAqua

I did read the second to last post and it does indeed seem to be the same thing. That guy just used a 8 digit pin. And the guy that owned the iMac used a 4 digit pin I would assume. I checked my icloud and I can see my old MacBook Pro in there registered to that guy and I can lock it or wipe it. I'm not going to do that until I give this guy a oppurtunity to call me back. But I am pretty agrivated at this point.

Jul 24, 2012 3:26 PM in response to tommyarmour

Unfortunately the person that sold you the used machine did not set the machine up for sale correctly. It appears the machine came installed with Snow Leopard and he upgradet to Lion. What he should have done is wiped the machine clean and re-install Snow Leopard because Lion upgrades CANNOT be transferred to new owners. The reason being is Lion upgrades (and also fututre upgrades) are tied to the AppleID of the orginal owner. Therefore unless the seller is willing to provide you his AppleID which is probably attached to his credit card information you cannot use Lion.

My suggestion would be to wipe the system clean using the Snow Leopard DVD, re-install Snow Leopard, run Software Update to get it to 10.6.8 (most up-to-date version of SL) and then purchase Mountain Lion 10.8.0 tomorrow from the Mac App Store. ML has been announced for a July 25 release date so your timing is really pretty good!

Jul 24, 2012 3:40 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I did indeed did wipe the system clean at the owners house, I went home with what I thought was totally clean hard drive, there was a recovery partition I did not see until I got home. This recovery partition was indeed tied to the original owner which I did not know at the time. I assumed it was like any old windows recovery and it was clean and made reinstalls a dream. Well long story short I had the snow leapord cd in the drive and ready to go until I seen this recovery partition and I opted to use the **** recovery and I reinstalled registered and signed into everything and used the computer all day 12 hours probably. By the way the recovery partition that was tied to this guy was lion. 😟

So then I left the computer on and went to sleep. Late last night an alarm went off and that is when I saw the enter the pin to unlock this mac. I have tried holding the C when I boot up, I have tried holding the Option key when booting up. I have tried resetting the pram. Nothing can be done. I can get to another lock screen by phsically unplugging the power cord then booting up holding the option key. That will bring me to a screen with nothing but a lock and a line that I can type some kind of admin password. Nothing I have with work. I tried, root, admin, administrator, my password I used when I set lion up. Nothing!!!!!.

At this point this machine is more or less 100% useless, the only option I can see is to bring it to a authorized apple retailer and have them fix it. I did bring it to a local apple store. And they said they could probably fix it, but I would have to pay them between 50-100 dollars. The repair guy said something about getting the info from the ram. I just laughed and left.

Anyway this is like a BIOS lock, you cannot get to terminal, cd, to any boot options, you cannot reset anything at all. It's a full lock.

Jul 24, 2012 3:45 PM in response to tommyarmour

You are suffering the perils of buying a used computer. My suggestion is book an appointment at your local Apple Store or AASP and they can help straighten you out. Chances are the service will be very low cost or free at the Apple Store, I can't say with an AASP.

The recovery partition is something that began with Lion so unfortunately your Windows analogy as you are learning doesn't hold water.

Jul 24, 2012 4:00 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Yup, problem solved the owner just emailed me and sent me the unlock code. I asked him to please remove the iMac from his iCloud and I will do the same. So thank you all for helping me pass the time while this guy responded. So the answer is this problem was related to the iCloud lock. It's now unlocked and I am installing snow leapord until tomorrow and I will then contact the apple store to see if they have 10.8.0 for sell.

YAY WHOOOOOOOO

Jul 25, 2012 6:57 PM in response to zach.p444

My lock seemed to be before the operating system had a chance to boot up. I would think I could replace the hard drive and that lock would still be there. I'm not sure about that though, but I sure am curious if it is possible to remove the lock just by changing the hard drive.

I pictured the iCloud lock as a full system lock. I wonder if the guy that did the work had to do anything else. Or maybe this lock is a hard drive lock only. I need to read up a little bit more about Apple products. I work on 95% windows machines, since those are the ones targeted for virus's and spyware.

Anyway, I am just a curious person. Peace

enter your system lock pin code to unlock this mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.