Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound

I do not have any sound on my IPad

iPad

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 1:20 PM

7 replies

Jul 24, 2012 1:25 PM in response to booandy

No sound at all? Even in the music app? Are you sure that you do not have system sounds muted?

If you lose sounds for keyboard clicks, games or other apps, email notifications and other notifications, system sounds have been muted.

System sounds can be muted and controlled two different ways. The screen lock rotation can be controlled in the same manner as well.

Settings>General>Use Side Switch to: Mute System sounds. If this option is selected, the switch on the side of the iPad above the volume rocker will mute system sounds.

If you choose Lock Screen Rotation, then the switch locks the screen. If the screen is locked, you will see a lock icon in the upper right corner next to the battery indicator gauge.

If you have the side switch set to lock screen rotation then the system sound control is in the task bar. Double tap the home button and in the task bar at the bottom, swipe all the way to the right. The speaker icon is all the way to the left. Tap on it and system sounds will return.

If you have the side switch set to mute system sounds, then the screen lock rotation can be accessed via the task bar in the same manner as described above.

This support article from Apple explains how the side switch works.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

Aug 9, 2012 6:01 AM in response to Demo

Amazed that worked.

iOS 5 breaks 1ST generation iPad internal speakers. Why? I don't know and neither does Apple Tech Support. Now... sound only plays back with a 3.5 phone jack.

I've seen/followed the threads and the advice therin, but there is no answer. So much for all my apps, radios, clocks? My iPad s basically useless.

Only ever works with a 3.5mm jack attached.

Jan 30, 2014 8:35 AM in response to booandy

Sound problems on the iPad/iPhone are not as 'rare' as people think - actually, a single crashed/missbehaved app can, under certain circumstances, render the sound-system innoperable... So, it is important to try closing all running apps (then wait some 20 seconds so the system can really close them underneeth...) before rebooting the iPad.

This short video (1min36sec) is a good 'checklist' on how to bring sounds back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDf1LDcE95Q

Of course there are the 'hardware' issues... most of the time simple dirt/moisture in the dock connector or in the headphones connector... that keeps the iPad in 'headphones mode' or sound only going out by the docking connector... A soft Dry toothbrush is handy to clean the docking connector... People report that inserting and removing, gently, some headphones plug a few times can restore the propper detection that there is no actual headphone inserted so the sound can return to speakers....

Good luck to everyone with sound problems - it is not too complicated to have it back.

No sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.