Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it worth upgrading?

I have a early 2011 macbook pro 13 inch baseline model. Is it worth upgrading the ram and hd right now or should i wait till i buy the 15 inch non retina in september

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 3:33 PM

13 replies

Jul 24, 2012 3:46 PM in response to ipodperson1

Why not wait until September before you decide to upgrade or buy a new Macbook.

I do however, agree with Shootist007 on this one.

I would go with a SSD and RAM upgrade.

16GB RAM are currently selling for around $100 if you look around ( Use Brand Name Only ).

256GB SSD are selling for around $200.

You'll see a nice boost in performance once you go that route.

Much cheaper than buying a new one......

Good luck...

Added - Your Macbook is SATA 3

Jul 24, 2012 3:58 PM in response to ipodperson1

ipodperson1 wrote:

who has hybird drives?

Seagate XT series. they come in 2 flavors. a 500GB model and a 750GB model. Supposedly the 750 is faster as it has more flash storage and uses it for both input and output of the data on the drive. Both drive run at 7200RPM which by itself is much faster then what Apple uses, a 5400RPM drive.

I use the 500GB model and it has worked very well. I originally put a SSD in my Mac but it just wasn't large enough (and I wasn't going to spend $400-$500+ on a larger SSD drive) so I switched the SSD out for the Seagate XT.

Is it worth upgrading?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.