Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync iPhone to new Mac without losing app folder layout

I got my new MBP today, because my Windows machine crashed and I lost everything.

So I had enough and bought a Mac.

I want to sync my iPhone with my MBP and not lose the folder layout of all my apps, I have nearly 200 apps so reorganising the apps is out of the question (unless it was a last ditch resort).

How can I sync my iPhone to my new Mac, bearing in mind I have no access to the files on my old PC.

I have already clicked 'Transfer Purchases' so have all the apps from my phone in iTunes on my Mac.

Thank you in advance,

Sam 🙂

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 3:29 PM

12 replies

Jul 24, 2012 4:05 PM in response to MaverickFlyboy

Does the folder layout for the home pages on your iPhone under the Apps tab for your iPhone sync preferences with iTunes match what is on your iPhone?

For future reference, follow the instructions included with this link for including your iTunes library with your computer's backup which would avoid this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Jul 24, 2012 5:14 PM in response to MaverickFlyboy

Since you didn't include your iTunes library with your computer's backup per the instructions included with the link provided, all iTunes content on your iPhone will be erased with the first sync, and the same for any photos on your iPhone that were transferred from your PC when selecting to transfer any photos from your Mac.

Before the sync, create a backup for your iPhone. Control-click on your iPhone under devices in the iTunes source list and select Back Up from the menu window provided.

Jul 24, 2012 6:12 PM in response to MaverickFlyboy

That is why you maintain a backup of your iTunes library and other important data while your computer and computer's hard drive is working - too late after there is a complete hard drive failure.

A hard drive is a hard drive - they can and do crash with a Mac as well. I had one fail on me with a 6 month old Mac PowerBook, and I didn't maintain a backup at the time. I lost everything, and I have been maintaining at least one backup since that time.

Sync iPhone to new Mac without losing app folder layout

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.