Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erasing Hard Drive Process Has Frozen, What Do I Do?

I am currently erasing my hard drive on my PowerMac G5 with OSX 10.4 on it (put in OSX CD and pressed C on startup...I want to give the computer away)

I did the 8 way erase option for the Journaled portion of the HD, and everything was going fine, albeit slow. I understand this is a process that takes time.

I went to check on it though after a day, and it was only around 40% done. I moved the mouse around and clicked on the menu....annnnnd hellow spinning beach ball. It's been several hours, and the beach ball is still there with no further process to the erasing.

I'm thinking the whole process is now frozen. I'm not sure how I should go about this: just shut off the computer and redo this again? I don't know how this will affect everything.

PowerPC G5-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 6:56 PM

Reboot/Power down, then...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2012 6:56 PM in response to PizzaTime

Reboot/Power down, then...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

Jul 25, 2012 4:28 AM in response to PizzaTime

When you get this going again, there is no need to do a 7 pass zero. If you are giving the computer away, unless it falls into the hands of the NSA, or there's a chance it will fall into the hands of someone with an electron microscope and the skills to use it, a one pass zero will be more than adequate.

Erasing Hard Drive Process Has Frozen, What Do I Do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.