Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use Airport Extreme to act as a wireless receiver for a Mac Pro?

Hello -

I'm trying to use an Airport Extreme (1st Generation) as a wireless receiver for a Mac Pro but I can't figure out how. My main modem / wireless router (non-Apple) is upstairs. My Mac Pro is down stairs. I'm looking to get internet connection for that Mac Pro downstairs. Is it possible to use the Airport Extreme to connect the Mac Pro to the wireless internet provided by my wireless router?

Thanks for the help.

Nathan

Airport Extreme-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 1st generation version

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 8:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 8:55 PM

Is it possible to use the Airport Extreme to connect the Mac Pro to the wireless internet provided by my wireless router?

Unfortunately, Apple designed their routers to work with other Apple routers. It would be extremely unilikely that the AirPort Exteme could be configured to work with a router from another manufacturer.

The AirPort Extreme would need to be configured to "Extend a wireless network", but an error message is almost surely to occur when you try this.

There are other alternatives, but they would involve more hardware. Post back if you are interested.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2012 8:55 PM in response to NMR-EDM

Is it possible to use the Airport Extreme to connect the Mac Pro to the wireless internet provided by my wireless router?

Unfortunately, Apple designed their routers to work with other Apple routers. It would be extremely unilikely that the AirPort Exteme could be configured to work with a router from another manufacturer.

The AirPort Extreme would need to be configured to "Extend a wireless network", but an error message is almost surely to occur when you try this.

There are other alternatives, but they would involve more hardware. Post back if you are interested.

How do I use Airport Extreme to act as a wireless receiver for a Mac Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.