Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting/Editing DVD in FCP7

I'm editing an actor's reel and I have a bunch of DVDs he gave me. I'm using Aiseesoft DVD ripper for mac to convert the dvd files into .mov files, but I'm not sure if I should convert them to HD video or SD video. I did a test and for some reason it looks like the HD video is a little bit better than the SD video, even though I'm ripping from a regular DVD. Is there really a difference in quality?

And when I imported both the SD and HD clips I made into FCP7 and exported them, the SD video has black bars on the sides, while the HD video only has them on the top and bottom. I'd like to know what's the best way to convert DVD files and what sequence settings I should use in FCP 7. Do I convert the DVD to SD or HD? And what sequence settings should I use in FCP? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 10:14 PM

8 replies

Jul 25, 2012 2:51 AM in response to David M Brewer

Thanks. When I edit the dvd footage in a 640x540 timeline, the export creates black bars on the side of the screen. This doesn't happen when I edit it in an HD timeline (1920X1080). It looks fine with those settings. That's why I asked about converting the dvd to HD. Do you think that's a good idea? Or should I just convert the dvd into a regular SD .mov file and edit in a 640x540 timeline and zoom in so there's no black bars on the sides?

Dec 26, 2012 12:46 AM in response to bobbydigital80

If the DVD is not ecyrpted (it should't be since you made it) then you need to download iMedia Converter Deluxe.

1. Run it and open up the video TS folder one the DVD and load the .vob file that has the clip that you want into iMedia Converter. (You might have to repeat this step a few times to find the correct .vob file to get the section of the DVD that you want).

2. Once the correct .vob file is loaded you will be able to preview all content, so you then scrub through the content and set the in and out points for the section of video you want to extract.

3 From the menu select export and export it in whatever format which FCP you want.

Converting/Editing DVD in FCP7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.