Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad is stolen and will not connect to wifi to determine location through icloud

How is it possible to find my Ipad that was stolen from me? I am signed into icloud but the location of my device is unknown due to the lack of connection to wifi. I have the serial number to this device. Isn't there a way I am able to find what was stolen from me? Or is it simply long gone?

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 11:36 PM

9 replies

Jul 25, 2012 6:58 AM in response to JDFC

Sorry, but your first statement is unlikely and your second is largely incorrect. For #1, while it's not impossible the iPad will eventually appear in Find My iPad, it's most likely that the thief will just restore it after which it will never appear in iCloud.

As to #2, Apple cannot lock down an iPad other than through Find My iPad and has no database for tracking stolen items. A carrier can potentially block an IMEI, but that will not lock the iPad, only prevent it from connecting to that carrier's network using that IMEI, and that of course presumes that it was a 3G iPad, not a WiFi-only unit in which case there is no IMEI.

Sorry to say this to LMR, but the high probability is that the iPad is gone forever. Notify the police and change passwords to any online service you might have used from the device.

Regards.

Jul 25, 2012 7:50 AM in response to varjak paw

Depends where you live. I understand that in the US the carriers don't cooperate; elsewhere in the world you can have an IMEI blocked if you request. I had a phone stolen some time ago and as part of the insurance claim had to produce proof that it had been blocked by the carrier.

As to re-appearing on iCloud - it may do so. Depends (as you say) on how long it is since it has gone missing (and hence whether it's out of cover or erased). But if it has been erased your data is secure at least.

Jul 25, 2012 8:02 AM in response to JDFC

Even if the carrier cooperates, again, blocking the IMEI only prevents the iPad from connecting to that carrier, and again only if this is a 3G-equipped iPad. It will not "lock down" the iPad as you said.

As to reappearing in iCloud, yes, it might, but it's very unlikely, and you say that "it will eventually go into coverage" (emphasis mine) which is raising false hopes.

Regards.

Jul 25, 2012 8:26 AM in response to varjak paw

Thank you for your advice. I have my iPad registered to Find My IPhone and both my devices are connected through iCloud. My stolen iPad could only be used when in wifi range. There was a pass code on the iPad and in addition to that through the Find My IPhone app I sent a remote lock...and a message. The app indicates I would be notified via email as soon as the iPad hit a wifi connection, giving me hope that the location at that point could be identified.

A gray dot appears next to the un-identified iPad location which leads me to believe whomever stole my device has not yet reached or connected to a wifi network.

I guess the thief got around all of this and possibly restored my iPad and the location will never be known. I have filed a police report, providing the serial number.

I'm assuming in the future if I purchase a new iPad I should subscribe to the monthly 3G/wifi services as to always have a connection to determine the location if the device is stolen again.

I don't know how else to track down this device =[

Jul 25, 2012 8:31 AM in response to JDFC

I filed a police report and provided the serial number...not sure how to determine the IMEI. I called Apple and didn't make it past the automated voice system as it indicated to me that they don't take record of stolen iPads or devices. I might just go to the Apple store. Thank you for your help.

Jul 25, 2012 8:56 AM in response to L.M.R.

Having a 3G connection might help, but again, only if the thief doesn't restore the iPad, and there's no way to prevent someone from doing that.

not sure how to determine the IMEI.

There is no IMEI in a WiFi-only iPad. If you do have a 3G iPad and you ever synched it with your computer, Launch iTunes, go to the Preferences, select Devices, and hover your cursor over the backup file for the iPod. That should show you the IMEI.

I might just go to the Apple store.

The Apple Store will not be able to help you. They don't keep records of stolen items either. Only if an authorized law enforcement agency were to contact Apple would Apple perhaps be able to provide any information or assistance.

Sorry, but there's no other way to track your iPad. You'll just have to hope you or the police get lucky.

Regards.

IPad is stolen and will not connect to wifi to determine location through icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.