Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel[0]: disk0s2: I/O error

Hello all,

I have got an minimax HDD 500GB connected to my iMac 20' Late 2006 / Mac OS Lion.

Since 1 week, I've got these errors in my log - kernel[0]: disk0s2: I/O error

and the disk is sometimes unavailable.

I tried to connect my minimax with USB and Firewire cable and I'm experiencing the same errors.

Any ideas ?

Thx for your help

Gilles

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 7:42 AM

Your drive is failing, or you have some other hardware fault in the mass-storage subsystem. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store to have the machine tested.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to bare metal from any of them.) Don’t erase the OS X 10.7 or later recovery partition, if present.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2012 7:42 AM in response to Community User

Your drive is failing, or you have some other hardware fault in the mass-storage subsystem. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store to have the machine tested.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to bare metal from any of them.) Don’t erase the OS X 10.7 or later recovery partition, if present.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

May 10, 2013 8:25 AM in response to Community User

kernel[0]: disk0s2: I/O error.

My iMac starts up slow and often stops working during the day after these errors. I run the Disk Utility frequently and it never finds any errors, but it is only a bandaid. How do I fix the issue ?

My iMac

24-inch, Early 2008

Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I can not add anymore physical ram

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 MB

Software OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)

kernel[0]: disk0s2: I/O error.

Kernel[0]: disk0s2: I/O error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.