Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make the mail window zoom in?

When typing in a pre set font (Tahoma 10) on my Mac Air the font is too small to read (bad eyes!)

Any idea how I can zoom in rather than enlarge the font?

Cheers

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Mail

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 4:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 5:27 AM

first you need to turn on Zoom in settings like so......

User uploaded file

then

• Command+Option+= to zoom in
  • Command+Option+- to zoom out
16 replies

Jul 5, 2013 12:23 PM in response to davidclane

I have this same issue - and the "workable solution" suggested above is ludicris!! Zooming in causes screen to blur, half of email to goes off screen, and in all senses is a NON SOLUTION. This is NOT an ACCESSIBILITY feature (like for people who cannot see very well), this is BASIC FUNCTIONALITY that, once again, the too smart for their own or anyone else's good Apple misses.

May 30, 2017 11:25 PM in response to davidclane

I also would like the Mail.app Compose window to be able to be zoomed in like a web page can to give me larger text (I have a 4K monitor so the pixels are really small). I tried using Safari to log into iCloud and access my mail that way, thinking that when I do a web-based compose, I can then use the usual <CMD><SHIFT>+ hotkey sequence to let me zoom in like I do with other web pages. Well, it sort of works for about 30 seconds, then Safari gives me the spinning beachball of death and spikes the CPU, making the compose tab unresponsive. I have to manually kill the tab to get Safari back. BTW, I am running on the latest MacBook Pro Sierra 10.12.5 so this zoom issue in Mail.app hasn't been fixed yet, and using the web interface via Safari to try to get a zoomed in view is broken as well.

Gmail is looking pretty attractive these days ;-(

May 30, 2017 11:49 PM in response to Mike Bender

I found a workaround that is acceptable to me, not quite a solution to the Mail.app Compose window question in this thread. Chrome is happy to zoom in the text when using the iCloud.com web-based mail program. As I posted previously, for some reason Safari gets into some sort of infinite loop when I try to zoom in on the Compose window using that browser.

Jan 25, 2014 8:55 AM in response to hebegeebees

hebegeebees - I agree. Especially when using a Macbook trackpad or stand alone Magic Pad. I instinctively attempt to use pinch-to-zoom to zoom in on whatever I am reading or writing. Why this feature does not exist Apple Mail is beyond me.

Pressing control and then doing a 2-finger swipe up or down only gives you access to a small part of the application window. Whatever is off screen when you zoom in is inaccessible until you zoom back out.

Mar 12, 2015 7:10 PM in response to hebegeebees

I also agree with hebegeebees: this is very basic functionality and it's nuts that they haven't fixed this, three years later.

I really like Apple's "we're not going to try to be all things to all people" approach and for the most part I feel the tradeoffs they make between user experience and functionality are excellent. But, this is an example where adding the functionality would significantly enhance user experience, while in no way detracting from it. Every time I come across something like this it leaves such a bad taste in my mouth for the company. They need to do a better job of listening to customers who bring no-brainer issues to their attention.

On that note, please join me in giving feedback to Apple about Mail using their feedback form:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html

And here's the link for giving Apple feedback on their other products:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Aug 26, 2015 6:34 AM in response to .-_-.

I had the same, problem but now I found something I think is a reasonable solution: Go to Mail/Preferences/Fonts &Colors/ Message Font/ Select

And then choose the size is more confortable to yourself.

I think that size is quite invariant on time for a given person, so, it seems you will not need to do theses steps many times in your life.

Cheers!

Jan 21, 2016 4:29 PM in response to davidclane

The command+= and command+- helped for reading mail...thanks for the posts.

The Mail->Preferences->Fonts and Colors->Message Font helps for composing mail.

But...

Apple, please add the trackpad zoom in and zoom out feature for Mail...especially in a composition window or a viewing window. In addition, please add a feature to increase the font size of the other panes in Mail, such as the message list pane and the mailbox pane.

Specifically, this would position a Mac much better for meeting the needs of the vision impaired.

Thanks.

How can I make the mail window zoom in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.