Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do i have to buy a new machine to install Mountain Lion?

I have a MacBook and have snow leopard. Will I not be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion? It is frustrating since moving to iCloud and now my Mac mail server will not work unless I have mountain lion, as I was told by Apple sales person. Also, I have paid for what was once .mac and then MobileMe for years and now with the move to iCloud, I would still pay the $99 annual fee just to have my Mac mail account. I have other email options but I like the Mac one for family use.

Are there any options for other than to buy a new machine which I was not expecting do to for another couple of years or so. I like my MacBook. It was purchased 1/2007.

That seems to be a bad answer for all pre-2008 MacBook users who were used to using the mail function and now can't. I don't need the other features of mountain lion.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 3:16 AM

4 replies

Jul 25, 2012 3:48 AM in response to judeandrea

Apple has tightened its requirements for this OS upgrade, and some older Macs— even ones that qualified for Lion— won't make the cut for Mountain Lion.

The general system requirements are straightforward:

• OS X v10.6.8 or later
  • 2GB of memory
  • 8GB of available space

Apple also lists which models support Mountain Lion:

• iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

So it appears you Cannot run Mountain Lion on that machine.

Hope this helps 🙂

Do i have to buy a new machine to install Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.