Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question: OSX 10.4.11 server ... trouble w/ upgrading to 10.5.6

I have run into unanticipated troubles while upgrading my G4. I am stuck with a computer that runs fine, happy mac chord upon start up, however only goes to a grey screen with a big lock on it, a password blank, and a right arrow button. There is none of the ususal opening screen at all.

I bought a 10.5.6 retail disk from a fellow on eBay. Disk goes thru it's check prior to installing just fine. I have three 250gig HDs in there, only one of which has pre-existing 10.4.11 server software on it. The other two have accepted the install of 10.5.6. I used software update after that, and got some 7 updates. It was late, and I set it up to accept the updates, and went to bed for the night.

The next morning was when all the problems started to show up.

After running into problems, I attempted to install the newer OSX on the older disk. I think it took it, however there's all sorts of problems.before the unusual startup screen started doing that, Safari and iphoto will not load or work a'tall. I'm using Firefox to go online. I can't used software update as it wants safari.

1] safari won't work at all

2] Iphoto won't work at all

3] Now that the unusual startup screen is active, I have to have a OSX Disc in the DVD drive bay in oreder to get to anyting, and that's only what is on the disc.

4] aforementioned boot up problems w/ unusual startup screen

5] Original 250gig disc willl not show 2nd partition

6] one of the new 250gig discs wont show up in disc utility with the name I gave it either... disc Utility calls it"'Media" and shows neither of the two partitions

I have attempted to install the OSX 10.4.11 server software again over the 10.5.6; however now the disc appears broken when ascertained by Disc Utility. The original 10.4.11 disc has limited function, again ascertained by Disc Utility. Perhaps that was exactly the wrong thing to do, however was attempting to figure out the problem.

I'm totally at a loss, and have many questions. I have very little programming experience, however have used apple computers since 1986. I do know how to r/r all major components inside the box. I've spent many hours on this problem prior to asking for help, however this sort of thing has me stumped.

Any help will be appreciated!

Airport/Airport Express, Superdrive

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 6:20 AM

4 replies

Jul 25, 2012 6:20 PM in response to Whitjr

so, I figured out that i had to go back to the system I had before. Removed the two new HD that had OSX 10,5,6 entirely. got back, into my original HD after getting past the initial screen w/ the 10.4.11 server install disk, and resetting the passwords.

Safari works now... and I can get in just fine.

I think it was the conflict of the server software with attempting to install another OS upgrade over it.

any ideas? Anyone?

Jul 26, 2012 6:26 PM in response to BDAqua

After working with it some more... Have figured out that the "lock" screen is a security measure from the server software. somehow, I have it set [didn't mean to do this] to show that upon each reboot now, and I'm not sure how to disable it. I'll get into the server manuals and have to research that.

It also seems that the server software sees each HD as another computer somehow... and each partition as well. Curious... Anyway, once I got past the "loced" screen, the fresh install of the server software was in effect, and the primary HD is showing both patitions.

All is happy... [doing little apple happy dance]...

I zero'd out both of the new HD's, and am forgoing the install of the newer 10.5.6 on them. My 10.4.11 server is just fine actually, had no problems with it until I tried to upgrade. I suspect that the server software either wants only 10.4.11 server on everything, or somehow I must "tell " it to accept the other 10.5.6. Not real sure how to do that, however will put my muscles inbetween my ears in gear to think about for awhile.

Thanks for your assistance.

Question: OSX 10.4.11 server ... trouble w/ upgrading to 10.5.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.