Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will upgrading to OSX Mountain Lion erase my rEFIT dual boot Windows?

Hi All,

At the suggestion of one of the users in a different section of the forum, I am posting my question here in hopes of finding someone who might have already done this upgrade and can speak from experience.

I have a MacBook Air that is currently setup to dual-boot OSX Lion or Windows 7 with Boot Camp. The Windows 7 was a requirement in order to be able to use my laptop for work. I want to upgrade to Mountain Lion but I also don't want to erase the partitioning on the hard-drive and I want to keep my Windows 7 installation intact. If I choose to upgrade (instead of a clean install) will this delete the Windows partition and wipe out my disk or will it retain my dual-boot option as it currently is?

Thanks for your help.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 8:23 AM

Then wait on update, and plan to (goes without saying hopefully) to have backups of both that you can always restore. Especially as this is a work computer in essence.

Lion had trouble until 10.7.1 and the Lion 4.0 Windows Support Software itself was buggy for those that were installing Windows (or upgrade their boot camp drivers with Lion's).

Until people look at the Lion Recovery partition and whether that changed in size or something, or other changes to the partition tables.

WinClone 3 and CampTune can both help preserve your installation and Carbon Copy Cloner to make bootable backup of Lion and Lion Recovery, in addition to TimeMachine. (TimeMachine has been improved and more flexible).

And store your ML install package somewhere - given how slow it is DL'ing I'd wait days to even bother.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2012 8:23 AM in response to nashbrydges

Then wait on update, and plan to (goes without saying hopefully) to have backups of both that you can always restore. Especially as this is a work computer in essence.

Lion had trouble until 10.7.1 and the Lion 4.0 Windows Support Software itself was buggy for those that were installing Windows (or upgrade their boot camp drivers with Lion's).

Until people look at the Lion Recovery partition and whether that changed in size or something, or other changes to the partition tables.

WinClone 3 and CampTune can both help preserve your installation and Carbon Copy Cloner to make bootable backup of Lion and Lion Recovery, in addition to TimeMachine. (TimeMachine has been improved and more flexible).

And store your ML install package somewhere - given how slow it is DL'ing I'd wait days to even bother.

Jul 25, 2012 10:00 AM in response to nashbrydges

Having external backups of Windows 7 Pro and Lion though not very recent, I installed Mountain Lion on Mac Pro 3.1 this morning. Mac disk had ~45GB which went to 48GB after install.

First thing that must be done is check for updates which in my case included Safari, iMovie, iPhoto... (and Remote Desktop which I refused). These updates only became available to Lion after M.Lion became available
at about 9.30 ET this morning. Overall updates and install ran from 11.20 to 13.00.

Then, in Windows 7, checking Apple Software Update showed nothing available. So, no Bootcamp update is yet available for M. Lion.

Jul 25, 2012 10:36 AM in response to ReMacs

There never was a "software update" to go from Boot Camp 3 to 4.0, it was done through Boot Camp Assistant. Whether that means BC 5.0 or not though remains to be seen, but does not seem likely it will be thru ASUW.

I would assume Early 2008 would likely not have Lion and Windows on the same drive.

So does Moutain Lion change the size though of Recovery volume in any way?

Jul 25, 2012 11:43 AM in response to The hatter

Yes, Mac is 1 drive, Windows 7 & 8 are on another.

The space taken on Mac drive has gone up by 1 to 2 GB.

The iStat utility 1) no longer shows "Processes" in boxes on the right and 2) # of processes showing in my version to the left of that has gone from ~65 to ~80; this with my having selected nothing from Cloud settings since I have nothing else to Sync with.

Running Software Update in M. Lion goes now to the App Store rather than the windowed display of Lion.

Option Boot shows Disk icon "Recovery-10.8"

Jul 26, 2012 3:49 PM in response to nashbrydges

Hi,

I warily upgraded to Mountain Lion a few hours ago, I had the same worries about refit as holding option never seemed to work. Anyway, after upgrading everything worked the same, refit showed upon startup and Windows 7 (created with BootCamp on SnowLeopard) works too.

Overall, I think if you've created an 'official' dual-boot, then installed refit you should be okay.

Hope you work it out 🙂

J.

Will upgrading to OSX Mountain Lion erase my rEFIT dual boot Windows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.