Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install on boot camp

I have a Windows 7 partition bootcamped on my Macbook Pro, with OSX Snow Leopard latest version. If I upgrade to Mountain Lion, will it preserve the Win7 partition ? And will it still be able to boot into Win7 properly ?

MacBook Pro, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 10:35 PM

It did, and still does.

I had it set up to boot into Win7 by default BEFORE I ran the ML upgrade.

10 replies

Sep 2, 2012 7:29 PM in response to jmerichards

JR (or Anyone).

I'm pondering making the same leap to OSX Mountain Lion and I'm worried about my Boot Camp 3.x partition/Windows 7 (64 bit) install making it through the procedure.

My current machine: Mac Pro 4,1 (the big 60 LBS chunk of aluminum); 2.66 GHz Quad-core; upgraded ATI radeon graphics card HD5770 (working perfectly at present to drive my Battlefiled 3 game).

I've read the Apple Support stuff for upgrading from Snow Leopard to OSX ML and they make it sound super simple. I have been impressed by Apple's ability to make the complex simple so I'm hopeful the upgrade will go smoothly. I've also read the Apple Support stuff on Boot Camp 4.0 and I have yet to find anything that is on point regarding the success/failure of my current 3.x BC install working after the SL-to-ML upgrade.

My Plan: First, upgrade to ML; then reboot into BC 3.x/W7; then use BC Assistant to upgrade to BC 4.x.

Is my plan doomed to failure because I've missed a critical Apple Support article or because it is simply not possible with the current ML/BC versions?

Bottom line, I'm looking to avoid failure + major time suck and I'm not worried about loosing my W7 install or data. I only use my BC partition to drive BF3, so if the BC 3.x partition is killed by the ML upgrade, my backup plan is to start the BC creation process from scratch and create a new BC 4.x partition, install BC 4.x, W7, and BF3.

Many thanks for your thoughts. SC Jedi.

Sep 3, 2012 3:19 PM in response to SoCal Jedi

Well Jedi I can tell you that I successfully upgraded to ML yesterday, without damaging my W7 install (incidentally I'm using BC 3.3).

I did change the boot partition on the Mac to BC before commencing, as Blewyn said he/she did, although I'm not sure that would've made a lot of difference; it was automatically changed back to the Mac HD during the install process anyway.

I have to say it was all fairly painless. I left the machine to load the new OS whilst at work, as this was my first Mac OS install and as a long time Windows user I was expecting it to take hours. The messages I saw on screen before I left indicated the process would take about 30 minutes or so. When I got home I simply logged in (to both OS X and W7) and found everything to be working perfectly.

I have not installed BC 4 as yet, not a great rush in my case.

Best of luck with your ventures!

Install on boot camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.