Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you access Preview documents on iCloud?

In Mac OS X Mountain Lion you can save Preview documents into iCloud. How can you view these same documents on your iOS device?? Thanks :-)

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 8:46 AM

109 replies

Jul 27, 2012 3:47 AM in response to ClaytonJA

I am very disappointed also. I have already moved all my Pages and Numbers documents from DropBox to iCloud and that part is working great. The only thing I have left on DropBox are a large number of PDF files. I was really hoping to move them to iCloud so that I would no long have to use DropBox. But if I can't read the files on my iPad, moving them doesn't help me at all. I am hoping that in IOS6, Apple will have a fix, but then again it really doesn't help me as I have an iPad 1 and IOS6 won't be running on it.

Aug 7, 2012 12:33 AM in response to David Cittadini

Sadly, this appears to be a glaring problem in the implementation of Apple's "Documents in the Cloud". Every app is a walled garden. The lack of Preview and TextEdit on iOS means those documents will never appear in iOS unless Apple releases new apps or changes their own rules. Similarly, anything you store in iOS apps without Mac equivalents will never appear in the "Open" dialogue box for Mac apps, even if they can open the files (think GoodReader in iOS with some PDFs and JPEGs not appearing in Preview on the Mac, etc.).

You can actually see this quite clearly if you go to "~/Library/Mobile Documents". It will be full of folders with names like "com~Apple~Keynote" for things made on your Mac and "[Random Numbers]~com~apple~mobileiphoto" for things made on your iOS device. The contents of each folder is what appears in the "Open" dialogue for each app, and none of the other content will appear.

If you think this is a bad way to manage documents, I strongly recommend that you go to http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html and leave a comment. Personally, I think it would make the most sense to have a single storage area and simply display all documents that an app (Mac or iOS) could open. As it stands, Apple's document model for iOS won't allow this.

Aug 7, 2012 1:58 AM in response to Mike Stitzer

Same situation here, PDF file saved with preview but not accessible from any iOS device.

I found my PDF File (like Mike Stitzer said), and i just copied it in the GoodReader Folder.

Now the file is accessible from GoodReader.

Maybe an Automator Task can automaticaly resolve the problem... the time for Apple to give us a better solution.

Aug 7, 2012 2:24 AM in response to dougi83

Yeah, you can definitely take matters into your own hands on the Mac side of things (for now), but be warned that Apple doesn't support playing with those files. Things could get horribly out-of-sync or corrupt. In my experience so far that hasn't been the case, but who knows what iCloud is doing behind-the-scenes.

The biggest downside to this manual method is you lose sync once you move the PDF from Preview to GoodReader, in terms of seeing it in Preview. You have to keep manually moving it back and forth on the Mac to see it in both apps. An Automator folder action might work, but you'd have to be sure it works perfectly or risk issues.

Good luck!

How do you access Preview documents on iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.