Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is web sharing?

Hello, can anyone please tell me, what happened to the websharing button in system preferences? I had this always enabled on my MBP. The button is simply not there, and the Sites folder in my user folder is missing, too. What's wrong here? How can i show current webprojects to my customers on the road?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 8:42 AM

OS X Mountain Lion does not include Web Sharing as an option in the Sharing preference pane. Mountain Lion does include the Apache HTTP Server, an open-source web server. For information about enabling and using Apache, see http://httpd.apache.org.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5230?viewlocale=en_US

27 replies

Jul 25, 2012 8:55 AM in response to Ryan M.

thanks for your response. i really have to do all this stuff instead of ticking a box?? i will not mess around with the terminal. i can't believe they removed this feature.

no more keychain sync for my macs, no more simple websharing? what gets removed next, the mouse pointer? very disappointed.

Apple, fix this. until then, i am back to Lion. thanks for nothing. crap.

Jul 27, 2012 4:45 AM in response to etresoft

You can use a simple AppleScript to turn the Apache Server On or Off. Here is the script

tell application "Finder"

set Choose_app to display dialog "Start or Stop Apache" buttons {"Start", "Stop", "Cancel"} default button 3 with icon 1

if button returned of Choose_app = "Start" then

do shell script "sudo apachectl start" with administrator privileges

else if button returned of Choose_app = "Stop" then

do shell script "sudo apachectl stop" with administrator privileges

end if

end tell

This script will ask you for your admin password to complete since you are using "sudo".

The best article I've found to configure Apache on Mountain Lion is here

http://coolestguyplanettech.com/downtown/install-and-configure-apache-mysql-php- and-phpmyadmin-osx-108-mountain-lion

Jul 27, 2012 5:32 AM in response to Loopi

You don't have to learn AppleScript. Just

1. Open a new window with AppleScript Editor
  2. Paste the above code in
  3. Save with File Format = Application
  4. Don't check either of the two option boxes

Put the scrip somewhere. It is equivalent to "Checking/Unchecking" the checkbox.

As far as the rest of the Apache configuration, if you were running PHP or something else on Lion, you had to do it then or on Tiger.

Mountain Lion updated the Apache Server to the latest version. The config is simple and only involves uncommenting a few lines.

Jul 27, 2012 9:51 AM in response to etresoft

etresoft wrote:

The Apache Web server is not a simple sharing feature. It takes a fair amount of technical expertise to run. Anyone who can configure Apache should be able to figure out how to start it. If you want to run it, you only have to turn it on once.

However, if you change anything in a conf file, enable PHP for example or enable a user's Sites directory, you need to stop/start it or simply use the

sudo apachectl restart

command to "restart" it.

Jul 29, 2012 11:25 AM in response to Loopi

I think Apple is hoping people will buy Mountain Lion Server which is $20. This provides a GUI frontend for Apple Server Services as well as Web, Mail and son on. Most folks who do much testing of web apps on their Macs have used MacPorts and other utilities to get their systems working as needed to support PHP and MySQL web apps. This is an anmoying issue but really it is not a huge problem. There is something called Webmin which can be downloaded from www.webmin.com which provides a browser-based frontend to various system administrative functions on Unix which OS X happens to be under the hood.

Where is web sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.