Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Guitar not being recognized - built-in-input not even an option

My guitar is plugged straight into my MacBook through a cheap 1/8" adaptor. I know I have to go to preferences and choose built in input, but the only options I have are built in mic and system settings. There's nothing wrong with my guitar or cable and the adaptor is brand new. What am I doing wrong?

GarageBand (Mac) '11

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 8:56 AM

Goalie75 wrote:

My guitar is plugged straight into my MacBook [...] the only options I have are built in mic and system settings.

some models of the MacBook don't have a line-IN, does yours have a jack for both line-IN as well as headphones?

4 replies

Jul 25, 2012 9:49 AM in response to HangTime

I don't know if I have it on this model. As you can see from the screenshot, I don't have "use audio for" menu. I'm not really sure why Apple would remove the audio input though...User uploaded file

Edit: I just checked the system specs for the mid 2012 13" and there's no audio line-in. Thats really weak, I would shelled out the extra money for the 15" had I known, but I wouldn't have expected my new macbook pro to be lacking features my old dell inspiron had.

If I were to get something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCG102-Guitar-to-USB-Interface/dp/B000PAPO9W) would it even work?

Guitar not being recognized - built-in-input not even an option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.