Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion no longer available on Mac App store....

So what do we do if we need to download Lion again?

If we have Mac's which do not support Mountain Lion, but are currently running Snow Leopard, then how do we get Lion?

If we need to reinstall Lion, or create a bootable USB Key for Lion, then how can we do so, since it is no longer available on the store?

What if we need to reinstall Lion? What do we do then?

This is ridiculous. Is it going to be like this for other apps like Xcode as well?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 9:08 AM

14 replies

Jul 25, 2012 7:31 PM in response to varjak paw

Actually, at the time of my post, it wasn't in my list of purchases eve though I had purchased it. It seems to be there now though.

But if it isn't available for "new" purchase, then I guess the people who have mac's running snow leopard, but whose machines can't updgrade to mountain lion are out of luck. They can't even upgrade to lion then? =P

Jul 27, 2012 7:10 AM in response to filippogiad

@filippogiad - Call again. I used 800.692.7753 and the agent had to look it up but was able to take my order over the phone and they are supposed to send me a code to download it. I believe they just opened it up as of midnight EST last night - so maybe all the sales agents haven't been notified. So call again and have them double check.

Jul 27, 2012 9:04 AM in response to filippogiad

I just called the number PDilla gave; they took my credit card info, and will send a download code and instructions later. I was a little surprised it wasn't immediate, but I'll report back when I get the mail (or when I don't :-) ).

Apple hardware runs a long time (this is an early 2008 Macbook); you'd think they'd keep software such as Lion available for those of us that have hardware that cannot upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Update: In the time since I began typing the info, above I have received an acknowledgement of the order. The email implies that it will be a physical shipment, but the Apple store representative said it would be a code for download. It has not yet shown up in the Purchases section of the Appstore.

Message was edited by: Skydaver

Jul 27, 2012 10:15 AM in response to KeanuReeves

I was instructed (yesterday afternoon) to check with my brick & morter Apples stores to see if they still had Lion Thumb drives in stock. (I have 3 Apple Stores within a 10 minute driving radius).The first store I called, Irvine Spectrum, had a few. I ran right over. The salesguy said they had lots of calls about it.

Having a thumb drive, gives me a liltte more confidence, that I can re-boot, and re-install, if I have any future problems. Buying it on line, does not give me the same confidence.

Jul 27, 2012 10:27 AM in response to KeanuReeves

After dealing with Apple (on phone, online and in store) for the last 24hrs, the best thing is to call SALES, not AppleCare, direct at 1-800-676-2775. With the automated system, say "sales", then "representative". Do NOT let them send you to AppleCare. I have no idea how many people I talked at AppleCare, but they did not get the memo. As of midnight last night you CAN order Lion through sales, they will take your credit card info ($32 bucks or so) and even though they take your "shipping address" you should get an e-mail with a code and instructions in "1-3 days". Again, you need to get ahold of sales, not tech support or AppleCare.

Lion no longer available on Mac App store....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.