Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iPhoto ever support library syncing with an external drive?

The high resolution pictures that many cameras take can fill up a laptop drive rather quickly. This becomes a hassle for users who then have to transfer their photos to an external drive, and manage two libraries when the external drive isn't available.

Will iPhoto get a feature like Timemachine that can automatically sync to an external drive and delete older photos from the local (smaller) drive? It would be very useful for novice users.

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 10:03 AM

3 replies

Jul 25, 2012 10:29 AM in response to bugg3d

Note. This is a user to user support forum and no one here has any idea about the future (and if they did could not discuss it since the TOU forbid speculation about Apple policies)

iPhoto Library Manager is a great tool for managing multiple libraries - What exactly are you trying to accomplish

There are many programs that will clone your library doing incremental backups to an external drive. SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner for example

TM does not do what you say. It makes backups which typically can not be directly accessed but must be restored to use. And TM does not delete anything from the source drive

LN

Jul 25, 2012 12:41 PM in response to LarryHN

I'd like iPhoto to manage the library between the internal drive and an external. When the external isn't connected, it should save photos to the internal drive; when the external is connected, it should copy over photos that have been added on the internal drive.

I don't want to clone the library. I want the library on the external drive by default, and new pictures copied to the external when ony the internal drive was available. It's inconvienent to have to export>import between libraries when this process could be automated. I suspect a lot of people with laptops have this issue.

Will iPhoto ever support library syncing with an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.