Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro running hot after upgrade

Hey everyone,

First off: Upgraded to Mountain Lion and I absolutely love it. I'm running on a December 2011 MacBook Pro Unibody 15", 8 Gigs ram, i7, SSD 256 drive (Apple). It had Lion installed when it came, obviously.

Now that I upgraded to Mountain Lion, it's running several degrees celcius hotter than before, after a couple of hours of using it. I figured I'd give it a few hours to do its search database thing etc...you know, let the system stuff in the background settle down, but it's still running very hot.

Is this something which eveyrone else has been experiencing? I've got two methods of checking the tempurature: iStat Nano on the Dashboard (which I don't use for anything else...) and smcFanControl which sits in my menu bar. Both give me the same tempurature and it's running literally about 5 to 7 degrees more (or sometimes even spiking at 15 degrees more for a few seconds) than before.

Just wondering if I'm the only one? Should I be patient and give it a day or so? Any tips?

Thanks,

Nat.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), Time Machine, External Drive

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 10:04 AM

9 replies

Jul 25, 2012 11:51 PM in response to Nat Harari

You're right that in the first few hours ML will be busy in the background running certain processes like indexing Spotlight and Time Machine.

You can see if these are still indexing by looking at the menu bar. Click on Spotlight - if you get a progress bar saying its indexing, just leave everthing alone till its finished. If you look at the TM icon, it should be slowly circling if TM is still indexing. Again, click on the icon and see what it says.

If these seem to have completed, check in Activity Monitor.app (Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app) as to what is using up %CPU time. If you see kernel_task is running wild (+80%) , try a PRAM reset. To do so, folllow this procedure:

1. Power down the machine.

2. Locate the following keys on your keyboard in preparation for Step 4:

‘command’ – ‘option’ – ‘P’ – ‘R’

3. Press the ‘power on’ button.

4. Immediately – and before the grey screen appears – hold down ‘command-option-P-R’ all together.

5. Keep them held down until you’ve heard the start-up chime twice. After you release them you should hear it again, and hopefully your Mac will boot up as it should and with the kernel_task process back to normal.

Jul 28, 2012 4:19 AM in response to chockswahay

Well, I did an SMC reset and the PRAM reset (although nothing running wild) and my laptop is back to normal 🙂

I have just ran a check against my wifes Macbook (same spec) which does not have ML on it and the two run at very similar temps. Something I did notice 🙂 is that the QT videos use less energy and the 'puter runs cooler when watching these (youtube) so all in a result !

By the way, if you're interested this is a really nice video to watch, not me but I'd love to do that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmlAW_1hgT8

😀

Sep 26, 2012 8:54 PM in response to softwater

Good news/bad news kind of thing with the PRAM reset suggested by softwater - cpu and power draw did settle down dramatically but now it takes forever (well about 2-3 minutes) to shut down my 2011 mbp. I guess on balance this is preferable to an external power supply brick and cpu area on the mb running so hot you could hardly touch them and the fan running constantly to try and keep things cool as well as activity monitor showing significant cpu activity with no user apps running. Snow Leopard never did any of that stuff.

MacBook Pro running hot after upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.