Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted HOSTCONFIG file - now only boots to command line "localhost:/ root#"

Running tiger 10.4.11 was logged in as root and (stupidly) deleted some files - mainly server/network related

Since then, I can't boot into os x - I get the gray screen with white apple logo, then screen goes black (no scrolling text) and at the very top line it says "localhost:/ root# "

Have already booted from install cd, used first aid in disk utility and repaired permissions (ran twice to ensure no more repairs needed) and verified hard drive - and all was said to be ok.

Restarted back into command line with same prompt as above.

As per a very helpful fellow on the boards, tried the following:

"mac-boot" & got the message:

"-sh: mac-boot: command not found"

"localhost:/root#"

Tried:

"fsck -f" (got "volume appears to be ok"

mount -uw / (brought back up the localhost:/user# prompt)

bless -folder /System/Library/CoreServices -bootinfo /usr/standalone/ppc/bootx.bootinfo

(brought back up the localhost:/user# prompt)

Tried:

"mv /etc/hostconfig /etc/hostconfig.old"

Got the message:

"mv: rename mv /etc/hostconfig to /etc/hostconfig.old: No such file or directory"

localhost:/ root# "

At this link, Read about how missing/deleted hostconfig file will prevent boot

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20030219105312899

Restarted with install cd and went to terminal, hoping to follow instructions in link above - but terminal prompt is different from the one in fix listed in link, it says:

"-bash-2.05b# "

Hoping someone out there can help me out of this mess without my having to reinstall os x !!!!

Thanks so much!!!

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4 1.5ghz ...on its' last leg...

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 11:03 AM

There are no replies.

Deleted HOSTCONFIG file - now only boots to command line "localhost:/ root#"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.