Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple troubles with bluetooth clamshell mode external display setup. OSX Mountain Lion fix?

I have no use for basically any of the new features in OSX Mountain Lion, but I'm hoping maybe it includes some bug fixes as well as features?

I have my 13" Macbook Pro (mid 2009 model, intel but not intel "i" models) on all the time in clamshell mode, hooked up to a Panasonic Viera tv via HDMI. I have an apple bluetooth magic trackpad and keyboard.

The steps I take to turn it on are:

1. Turn on TV.

2. Click trackpad, tap spacebar, tap esc, etc until hopefully the macbook wakes up. This works about 80% of the time.

3. If that doesn't work, I walk up to my computer, open the lid, wait for my mbp screen to come on, then close the lid, and try step 2 again. Works about 50%.

4. If it still doesn't work (likely the mbp screen never came on) then I hold down the power button and reboot my system.

5. Once it finally boots I check to see if Safari has hidden the top bit of my webpages behind the tabs due to not transitioning to the screen properly. If this is the case, I restart Safari.

6. If the whole display is improperly sized, I go into display properties and choose 'detect display'.

Additionally, my trackpad and keyboard continuously lose connection. Plus their battery life is quite rotten and inaccurate, especially for a combined $140 purchase.

These are both fairly common issues, I believe, but I have never found an actual solution. Just discussion.

So I would really appreciate knowing if anyone has a solution for these issues, or if anyone knows if OSX Mountain Lion might be more user friendly in this regard?

I currently have OSX Lion installed, and it didn't do much for me, so I'm kinda disappointed looking at how OSX Mountain Lion's features mostly seem to be more of the same. That airplay mirroring would have sold me on it, but my system is too old for that. Oh well!

Sorry to kinda ramble and complain, but these are various examples of longstanding bugs that I had hoped would be fixed throughout the lifecycle of Lion, and I'd really like to buy Mountain Lion if it made any improvements in regards to these.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 11:54 AM

1 reply

Jul 26, 2012 10:23 AM in response to Zedius

TLDR? Maybe I should summarize my question:

Does Mountain Lion fix any of the bugs associated with OSX Lion?

Some specific troubles I noticed when moving to Lion:

1. Very difficult to wake up system from sleep using bluetooth keyboard/trackpad while in Clamshell mode.

2. When woken up, external display often sizes wrong.

3. Top of webpages in Safari window often buried under tab bar when system is woken.

4. Bluetooth trackpad and keyboard have poor battery life and many dropouts (possible bad communication method?) (not sure if this is specific to Lion, as I didn't have these items with snow leopard)

Thanks!

Multiple troubles with bluetooth clamshell mode external display setup. OSX Mountain Lion fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.