Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I try to install Mountain Lion and I can't. It says "This disk cannot be used to start up your computer"

Today, after 3 hours downloading Mountain Lion, when I tried to install, thats what happens

"This disk cannot be used to start up your computer"

I tried many ways to correct, but I can't.

Help Please!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 13-inch Late 2011

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 1:18 PM

34 replies

Jul 25, 2012 8:13 PM in response to gridsnap

gridsnap wrote:

I have the same deal here. I was going to try the 'Lion fix' but I have a boot camp partition and I'd rather not make my small partition smaller.

Did you see where it says "The partition only needs to be approximately 128 MB smaller"?

If your OSX partition is so tiny that 128 MB makes any difference, you've got much bigger problems.

Jul 25, 2012 8:23 PM in response to Pondini

wow. no patience for newbies here, huh?

@Allan Eckert...SORRY didn't realize this is a user forum ONLY and Apple doesn't read these.

@Pondini...SORRY didn't read that part about the 128 MB...did YOU read that I read on another site that it didn't work for someone? So that's why I didn't read the whole article. I will be more careful to do so next time so as not to get flamed. I only have a 256 GB SSD, so yeah, I do have bigger storage problems.

Jul 25, 2012 8:37 PM in response to gridsnap

gridsnap wrote:

wow. no patience for newbies here, huh?

It's not that you're a newbie, it's that you just dismissed the advice.

And, like many others, I've been helping folks here for the better part of 14 hours today. And we're all volunteers.

did YOU read that I read on another site that it didn't work for someone? So that's why I didn't read the whole article.

Everything doesn't work for someone. Don't put a lot of stock in what one person may say -- he/she may have done it wrong, or there may have been an entirely different cause.

I only have a 256 GB SSD, so yeah, I do have bigger storage problems.

You are seeing 128 MB, not GB, right? That's 0.05% of 256 GB.

Jul 25, 2012 9:01 PM in response to Pondini

Dear Monsieur Smarty Pants,

I didn't dismiss the advice, I analyzed the advice and decided that an install workaround for a previous system update that may or may not work (you didn't actually say whether or not it HAS worked for anyone trying to install Mountain Lion) wasn't my best course of action.

I don't understand the hostility and condescendence, it wasn't like I said "hey idiots, I don't like your advice and I don't have any room on my hard drive!", I re-read my post and it was pretty mild.

Maybe you've been 'helping' too much today and should take a break or go to sleep.

Sincerely,

"Dumb *** guy who has a problem and dared not to take the first advice given to him"

Jul 25, 2012 9:10 PM in response to gridsnap

gridsnap wrote:

. . .

I didn't dismiss the advice, I analyzed the advice

That's not what you posted earlier: "So that's why I didn't read the whole article."

you didn't actually say whether or not it HAS worked for anyone trying to install Mountain Lion

That's true, I didn't. I've posted that several times today; most folks never report back, but 2 or 3 did say it fixed it for them. YMMV.

I don't understand the hostility and condescendence, it wasn't like I said "hey idiots, I don't like your advice and I don't have any room on my hard drive!", I re-read my post and it was pretty mild.

You didn't use those words, but that was the gist: "I'd rather not make my small partition smaller"

Jul 25, 2012 9:54 PM in response to JRodz26

I had the same problem earlier.. Finally, after several attempts...

1. Create a new partition (mac os extended journaled - don't make it too big - i used 128gb)

2. Erase free space of that new partition (fastest is fine)

3. Reduce partition size of the original mac hd (approx 128mb.. Could be more)

4. Re-install mountain lion and it should work (hopefully)

I think you can interchange step 2 and 3.. Probably doesnt matter but the key step is to erase the free space

Prior to the steps above.. I spoke to apple care and they asked me to verify disk and verify disk permissions.. Not much help since they both resulted ok (some minor permission warnings but not really a problem - i hit repair disk permissions)

Partition map should be GUID something.. forgot what it's called

Good luck!

I try to install Mountain Lion and I can't. It says "This disk cannot be used to start up your computer"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.