8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2012 1:05 PM by JosephPedersen
DomenicoP Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

If i remenber correctly, in Safari 5, i could view a page source code (html) pressing ctrl-click (right click) and selecting the option.

Now it's disappeard from the ctrl-click menu.

Can you help me?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, Safari 6
  • bluejfk Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

If you go under preferences >> advanced  simply turn on the develop menu and you have a bunch of tools including an Apple firebug-like tool.

• wsrphoto Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

True but the code is displayed on the bottom of the tab in the developer window, shrinking the viewing area of the Web page. Having Safari open a new window of the source code was far better and easier. It should be restored with the other missing pieces Apple changed from separate windows to the developer window.

• bluejfk Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

You can the the window icon on the upper left of the dev frame and have it in seperate window....

True but it's not its own separate window, only works on the tab window and not all tabs, is tied to the developer window system where it blinks over elements and sometimes requires reloading the Web page to retrieve it instead of just displaying it. It's best when it was just a plain text page. You're better served now with one of the extensions as this change is a step backward, taking away a useful feature. Why?

• Salim Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

CMD+ALT+A

All that does is open the developer window on the bottom of the tab. The separate view activity window and the simple, plain text source code window were very easy to do and use. The activity window displayed all open tabs not just the one for the tab. And the source code in the developer window highlights the code you mouse over, like that's useful for just reading the code. Better solution is use the Better Source extension. Now if a thirdparty had an activity window extension. It helps see where links aren't downloading or are broken.

• DomenicoP Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

thanks for the tip... agreed with all your complaints, i'm seriously considering switching to another browser now...

• JosephPedersen Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Press CMD+ALT+A.

There's a button in the top left (just right of the X) of that window that lets you toggle between,

'detach into separate window' or 'attach to inspected tab'

Then you can close both side bars if you don't want them.

Then, where you see "DOM Tree" on the top bar, click on it and it'll give you the option to view "Source code".