Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two MAJOR Safari 6 issues...

First is the "Search Google Or Enter An Address" bar, before if I wanted to go to Walmart.com all I would have to do is type Walmart and Safari would add the ".com" for me. Now if I just type Walmart it will Google search for Walmart instead of taking me to their website, this is crummy, more unnecessary finger clicking, And I'm too lazy to type ".com."

The second issue is that JavaScript is disabled even though I have it enabled in the preferences. I was on the phone with AppleCare for an hour and they cannot figure out why that is the case. JavaScript is not working on any of the JavaScript websites. Enabled is fully checked, Java is fully checked and it is still not working. Give me Safari five back dammit!

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 2:49 PM

11 replies

Jul 25, 2012 7:01 PM in response to hatefromnew york

I asked something about this on another thread. So i take it, the 2nd (right side) google toolbar is gone for now?

I liked the double address bar to kinda spell "check words" now i have to click on address>delete>type with drop down in front of the viewing window, instead of it on right side out of the way. Bummer...I guess it will take some getting used to.

Jul 27, 2012 12:20 PM in response to hatefromnew york

You need to add another issue for the search bar change. When you type in a search and it takes you to the search results page, you do not get a url in the location bar. It is still your search words. Therfore you can not share the Google results page.

Now it seems the memory leak has returned as well. My system continues to freeze when using safari. Noticing Safare Web Content service getting well over 1.5GB.

Think this pushed this out too soon just to make the Mountain Lion launch. Never seen so many issues with an apple release in quite awhile. Hope this doesn't continue.

Aug 1, 2012 9:33 PM in response to stepg

The issue is just that...it's not for sites you have already bookmarked--those would always come up as you entered text as options, but for new URL's.

The elegant, Mac-like interface solution was "I'll bet this is what you want" with automatically adding the ".com" and taking you there in one step when you press Return. Now it's at least two steps and clicks, or going all the way to the bottom of a pop-up menu to get what automatically occurred before.

It's a radical, unnecessary change that seems to be ill-informed.

Not a feature, but a bug. TIme to let Apple know via their Feedback link.

Aug 1, 2012 11:25 PM in response to printlab

I can't believe no one has noticed that favicons in the tab bars have gone too.... if you have a lot of tabs open it's impossible to navigate (in one click) without squinting at the screen. Someone at Apple seems to think that the 'show all tabs' on the top right of the tab bar is a better alternitive.... you have to click it, wait for all your tabs to load and then scroll left and right to see the open tabs.... how on earth this is supposed to be more elegant or quicker than the previos favicons beats me.... it's like eveything Steve Jobs stood against - adding 3 steps when before you had one.

Aug 9, 2012 3:22 PM in response to derEsch

Yes, it's very upsetting to not easily be able to double-click on the url for your search and send it. I do that quite often with image searches.

The work-around is to use the command-shift-i "Send an email of this link" option, and copy and paste the previously hidden URL anywhere you want it... But this is all unnecessary legwork added for no really good reason.

This is only one of a few issues I'm finding (others include 1) not being able to use the search field as a quick 'spell checker' like 1Sidekick did as well, and 2) no apparent way to show my previous Google searches via the triangular pull-down like before).

I think a great solution to some of the other issues I'm having would be to return the ability to add the search field to the Toolbar - the first thing I did was go to 'Customize Toolbar' and see if I could return the 'Google field' to its nest in the right corner. No luck. But that would return some functionality to Safari, although it won't solve the issue I have with not being able to see the search's URL like before.

This is actually part of a much larger problem I see happening at Apple, and I don't know what to do about it other than complain. There are changes being done that really have no purpose, other that for change itself, and these changes are adding more steps to things that previously could be accomplished in one or two steps. The 'Save As' debacle not working is another one of these things that just doesn't make sense.

Look at Linc's solution:

1. Enter "walmart" and then select Go to site "walmart" from the drop-down menu.

Wait now... Why should we have to then select anything from a drop-down menu when it did it without another step before? 'Go to site "xxx" isn't the default action when I hit return, and it's at the bottom of a list that varies in length depending on your search, so it's not even a consistant distance from the field where your cursor is! Terrible UI, guys! Placing it at the top of the list might have lessened the harrassment, but the bottom? You have to move your mouse or finger when previously you could simply hit 'return' and it knew what I wanted to do.

I've been using Apple OSes since the Apple II, the first Mac, multifinder, Systems 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and all versions of 10 since 10.1. I'm mildly "power user-ish" but I'm not against simplification when it's done correctly. I'm on board. But these new changes that actually add more steps are worthless. It goes against the ideas Apple has stood for for decades. It's frustrating and I don't know where I'm going to go if this gets worse over the next several years.

Aug 9, 2012 3:23 PM in response to William McMullen

Willliam, I'm with you.

I've used the Mac since 1985 and have been through all the floppy-swapping era as well as the rest you lined out.

The only way to get Apple to hear this loud and clear is for all of us to register our thoughts on their Feedback page.

The link is http://www.apple.com/feedback/safari.html

For all who look at this thread...don't be rude about it, but please make your thoughts and feelings clear. This is an unecessary change that should be easily re-coded and remedied.

Two MAJOR Safari 6 issues...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.