Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No wifi connection after installing Mountain Lion HELP!!

So there it is... It appears as though I am connected to the wifi network, but in reality there is no connection and I'm offline. That's the only way I connect to the Internet so I'm kind of screwed. Any ideas on how to fix this? Here's what I've tried so far:

-disconnect and reboot the router

-turn off and on the AirPort

-delete and add the network connection

-restart the computer

Nothing works :-(

I have a late 2011 17" MBP if that makes any difference.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 3:07 PM

53 replies

Jul 25, 2012 3:19 PM in response to katk23

There has been other report of this after upgrading to Mountain Lion.

One fix is to Reinstall ML right over the top of the current install. But you will need an Internet connection to do that. Try booting to the Recovery HD partition. At startup hold down the Command+r keys from the screen that comes up select Reinstall OS X.

If that system can't connect to the internet through your wireless connection then you are going to have to connect your Mac to your router with an Ethernet cable. Your Mac does have an Ethernet networking port and so does your router so all you need it the network cable.

I suggest you do that anyway just incase your WiFi link goes down for some reason.

Jul 26, 2012 5:33 AM in response to Shootist007

@dennis4jx - I am using a third party VPN service that changes the IP address of my computer - just so I can watch the US based content online while I am overseas. It's not a built-in thing that you have on or off on your computer.

@Shootist007 - I am not sure what to make of this. I checked the VPN connection as a desperate move to see whether this is preventing me from getting the wifi connection. Sure enough as soon as I disconnected from HMA Pro VPN - My Internet came back to life. I tried it multiple times just to make sure. Now I am not certain of what to do next... Do I have to change something in the Network Connections? Like change the DNS settings to Open DNS? And if so - where do I do that?

Jul 26, 2012 5:46 AM in response to katk23

Not sure what you have to do but whatever that may be it has to be done in the VPN software.

Something in ML, or with installing ML over Lion, has broken the VPN connection to whatever server it was connecting to to allow you to access USA content. It's not just a change of the IP address. Your IP was changed by making a connection to a USA VPN server like a Proxy Server. All that was change was the IP address USA content saw.

Once that VPN (Proxy Server) connection was broken you could not surf the net at all.

No wifi connection after installing Mountain Lion HELP!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.