Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X 10.7 no longer available on the App Store

Hi

I have an old white Macbook still running 10.6. Since 10.8 is now available, I assume that 10.6 will be out of support. My white Macbook is not supported by 10.8, so I'd like to update it to 10.7 which I've been putting off until now.

But, at least in the Luxembourg store, 10.7 does not longer seem to be available.

How can I purchase 10.7?

Macbook mid-2007, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 2:56 PM

7 replies

Jul 25, 2012 3:13 PM in response to uselpa

Yes, we and thousands, probably a million other users are once again cast adrift by Apple.

I spoke to people at the Apple Store 800 number, who transferred me to Apple Care, who escalated me up to the Senior Advisor who still could not find out why they have discontinued Lion and did not know how I could get it. After 45 minutes on the phone he says we "could" register this as a complaint to Apple. YA THINK???

Frustration here is entirely justified for numerous reasons:

- millions of PERFECTLY USABLE computers can still be upgraded to Lion

- they NEVER, EVER said Lion would be discontinued

- they barely whispered that some older systems wouldn't be supported by Mountain Lion

- most operating systems don't get their bugs worked out and peripherals supported for 12 months

- upgrades are time consuming and done only once a year by those of us that make money with their computers

- there's NO reason to discontinue Lion - the ONLY thing this does is $crew older Mac owners

Please call Apple Care and the Apple Store and voice your concern.

Jul 25, 2012 6:59 PM in response to uselpa

I will add an example of why Lion is still needed to Curtis' excellent comments above. My wife is an experienced textile designer and very long time Mac user (shameless plug: see her Hawaiian and surf-themed iPhone and iPad cases here: http://www.hawaiiancases.com). Because of Adobe's constant foot-dragging on staying current with OS-X, she has been forced to run at least one version behind the current edition of OS-X in order to assure compatibility with Photoshop and Illustrator. Only now could she feel assured of being able to upgrade to Lion, but this morning, to her surprise, she found that Lion was no longer available for purchase on the Mac App Store.

I can give at least reasons why Lion is still needed by many professional users - and my wife is desperate to purchase a copy:

1. The Fiery RIP in my wife's very expensive printer/copier just updated its firmware yesterday for - get ready - Lion. There's no telling when it will be compatible with Mountain Lion.

2. Adobe has not officially announced that either CS5 or CS6 is compatible with Mountain Lion. However, I corresponded with the ever-helpful David Pogue, who assured me that he just completed a 900 page book on Mountain Lion using Adobe products, and he was/is running Mountain Lion. That helped us breathe.

The simple fact is that a number of apps and firmware are not yet certified to run correctly with Mountain Lion, particularly specialized software/firmware that my wife uses for her work. And that makes it imperative for my wife to obtain Lion.

Apple, please help your professional users. Make Lion available again!

Jul 25, 2012 7:18 PM in response to uselpa

Here is the latest information - it appears that you can purchase it over the phone:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57480149-263/apple-quietly-pulls-lion-amid- mountain-lion-launch/?tag=mncol;txt

Apple confirmed the removal of the software this afternoon, and said that customers can still purchase a copy from its online store's telesales agents.[1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753) or Customer Service and Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775.]

OS X 10.7 no longer available on the App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.