Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery stuck

I used rechargable eneloop batterys for my bluetooth keyboard and the last (3rd) battery got jammed in and wont budge.

iMac

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 3:21 PM

Try taking a chopstick or a pencil cut off smooth and super glue it to the battery being careful not to get any glue on the keyboard battery compartment. It may take a half hour or so for the glue to set sufficiently to extract the battery.

18 replies

Jul 25, 2012 3:36 PM in response to AbeO

Over the years I've noticed that some battery's tolerances are not maintained as closely as others. Only use those that move in and out with NO effort. When a battery discharges or recharges it heats up and will swell slightly. If my earlier method doesn't work you could try freezing the keyboard long enough to cill the battery completely. Then use a hairdryer to heat the tube of the keyboard to get it expand and quickly get the battery out, perhaps by tapping the tube on a folded towel or anything that would prevent damage but allow you to impact/tap the keyboard with enough force to dislodge the battery.

Oct 19, 2012 3:48 PM in response to AbeO

I just recently encountered this problem. I have the wireless keyboard that is aluminum. There is a back panel that is plastic on the battery compartment. If you squeeze it gently it will pop off allowing access to the other end where the contact is attached to a spring. ( like a flashlight) You will need two thin but strong tools like a screwdriver or knife. I used a BBQ skewer. With the flat side of a screwdriver you can retract the spring just enough to pass the other tool into the cylinder to push the batteries through. They will resist probably because they are swollen but they will come out!

Oct 19, 2012 4:09 PM in response to carrieon4mac

carrieon4mac wrote:

I just recently encountered this problem. I have the wireless keyboard that is aluminum. There is a back panel that is plastic on the battery compartment. If you squeeze it gently it will pop off allowing access to the other end where the contact is attached to a spring. ( like a flashlight) You will need two thin but strong tools like a screwdriver or knife. I used a BBQ skewer. With the flat side of a screwdriver you can retract the spring just enough to pass the other tool into the cylinder to push the batteries through. They will resist probably because they are swollen but they will come out!

Very clever!!!

Feb 18, 2015 1:48 AM in response to AbeO

Hi guys! Me too I had the same problem!

One battery got stuck and I went to Apple Store but my keyboard was not covered but still helped me take out the stuck battery and told me that there was some white white powdery stuff inside which means a battery leaked before which is weird because I never had problem but anyway once home, i used a chopstick and wrapped with sandpaper (without using baking soda or anything liquid) and I just removed the white stuff in 5 min and after that the keyboard worked again! It made me save 70 euros!

I hope this would help people!

Cheers,

ninjaleks

May 24, 2015 6:14 PM in response to RRFS

Let me reinforce this. Don't use cheap batteries.

Today, what should have been a routine battery replacement. The innermost battery was stuck. Wouldn't budge.

That led to a disassembly today that involved pushing the battery out. Complicated. Maybe too much for the average person. No corrosion. No battery leak. The battery wasn't particularly old. It just didn't fit any longer - if it ever did.

As someone else noted, off brand batteries sometimes are not manufactured to particlarly close tolerances. Probably doesn't matter in some things.

Unless you want to replace a keyboard, don't waste your money on cheap batteries. Buy a bundle of name brands at Costco or wherever. Or buy Apple rechargeable.

FWIW, I have a few task-specific tools, e.g. a *spudger." Because I occasionally work on old camera, I also have what would pass as dental tools. a straight pointed end and an "L" shape on the other end. It also helps on the ribbon cable lock if you have to unscrew the lock.

Battery stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.