Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get Messages to sync with iMessage on my iPhone?

I have read all of the reviews and seen all of the intro videos for Mountain Lion and where they say that Messages from my MBP (using Mountain Lion) will sync seemlessly with the iMessages on my iPhone. I have yet to be able to figure out how to make this happen. I send test Messages to other iPhone users (using iMessage on phone and Messages on MBP) and the recipients are saying that they are getting my message but it opens a new/different conversation each time. On my end, I see none of the messages from my phone coming over to the computer.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I would be very appreciative!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 3:42 PM

11 replies

Jul 25, 2012 5:57 PM in response to Home_Brew

I'm in the same boat as you. My friend and i are texting through our phones, and i'm not seeing any of our conversation on my imac.

Also, can you send a text to ANY mobile phone phone number? I tried sending a text to my friends cel phone number on his blackberry, and imessage tells me that his number isn't registered.

That sounds dumb to me.

Jul 25, 2012 6:07 PM in response to Bladehntr

its supposed to be between OSX and iOS devices only, hence the iMessage name. But i am having the same problem as everybody. I send a message from my phone and it pops up on my sisters phone as the contact info she previously entered into her phone. When i send a message from my iMac, it sends it in a completely new conversation to her phone with my email address, or Apple ID, as the sender.

What has seemed to have had some effect so far, pull out your iPhone. Go to settings> messages> recieve at... then enter your apple id at the top if it isnt already there. tap caller id and switch it to your email instead of your phone #.

the problem with that is everyone sees your messages being sent from your email. But it did make the messages i sent from my mac appear on my phone....and the messages i recieved on my phone appear on my mac.

Its still kinda stupid how this app functions though

Jul 25, 2012 6:43 PM in response to Togue

Try sending an iMessage first to someone using your mac and select their phone number. It creates one message thread on their phone. Then select their email from you mac and send another. It creates a new thread.

The issue is that when it creates two threads, only one can be seen on both your mac and iPhone while the other only displays on your phone. It seems like that shouldn't happen.

Jul 25, 2012 8:01 PM in response to Home_Brew

Go into settings on your iOS device and select messages. From there, select which addresses your able to receieve messages at and the select Caller ID. You need to select the email address associated with your Apple ID.

This is the only way that I've found it works. My messages are all synced after this change to the settings; however it is not ideal. WHen a user messages me using my phone number, it now only goes to my iphone. If I initiate the conversation, it will sync accross devices due to my changing of the Caller ID.

Basically, until Apple unifies your phone number and Apple ID in iOS 6 this is going to be a pain!

Aug 23, 2012 9:57 AM in response to Home_Brew

Thank you ... Mine was not syncing at all.. after reading the previous... I now have it working. (1) All devices must have the same icloud account (@me.com accnt) under settings> messages, plus your phone number (2) If someone else has an icloud account they system is sending from that so must have their icloud (@me.com) account built under their name in contacts (3) If someone has an iphone but no icloud account it should work because then it is sending off of the phone number.... Thanks again for all the info

How do I get Messages to sync with iMessage on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.