Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm finding the download very slow -others?

The download is going very slow. How are others fondling it. Are the servers overloaded.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iPhone 4, iPad, VMWare with Windows 7

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 4:24 PM

10 replies

Jul 25, 2012 5:05 PM in response to m.mannes

A lot of variables here. Right now I expect Apple's servers to be busy with all the requests. Then you have your internet speed, the speed of your computer, etc.

Mine is not too fast either, I started downloading as soon as it was released. I went to bed and let the computer do its thing. ( I'm in Hong Kong) It is still downloading.

As long as you have progress, I would be patient.

Nov 11, 2012 12:41 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Well, it's November, and the App store is worse than dial-up speeds. A full day for Final Cut Pro... 1.5 days for Mountain Lion, and all this on a high speed connection. Go to another site, and everything loads lickety split.

What is happening to Apple these days? From killed battery life on Macbooks, to a poor Maps release, to iPhone issues, to software mishaps like FCPX, to sweatshop slaves jumping off the roof because of Apple manufacturing conditions in China... This is not your daddy's Apple company any more. Quality control is becoming about as good as your B & D toaster.

Nov 11, 2012 1:31 PM in response to Kerry Dawson

Things I have found about downloading from Apple servers.

1. Your internet connection can make a difference, but it's not the only factor
  2. The time of day for your download matters (evenings in the US are generally better than during the day)
  3. Timing matters (If you try to download anything on the day of a new release, the servers will be slow)
  4. Plugging in makes a difference (using wired connections rather than wireless are generally faster and more stable)

At my office I have a 100Mbps conneciton the internet, but I need to access it using wireless. When I downloaded Mountain Lion from the Apple Servers while at the office, it took over 6 hours to complete the download. WHen I am at home, I have a 12Mbps connection to the internet and I generally connect via a wired connection. I later re-downloaded the Mountain Lion installer from home in 2-2.5 hours (for the full 4.7GB download). The difference s were wired/wireless, and the time of day I was performing the download.

I tried to download the iOS 6 update for my iPhone 4 on launch day and I stopped in when the estimate reached 9 hours remaining. I waited about 5 days and performed the same download at 11:00pm from the same internet connection and it finished in about 20 minutes.

I'm finding the download very slow -others?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.