Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loss of resolution exporting ProRes to H.264. Help!

Hey everyone,

I'm cutting together my reel, and I'm having so much trouble with inconsistent resolutions. All my footage is at 1920x1080 in ProRes 422 (HQ), and I'm trying to export the whole sequence out as H.264 for web, but two of the videos keep losing resolution quality after I render them. These two were videos exported out from After Effects as ProRes files and they have a lot going on in them, so I wonder if that has something to do with it? Another thing is that the data rate of these two videos is around 20MB/second while the other videos are around 25MB/second - I don't know anything about data rates, but would that be something that would affect the output resolution?

After doing some research, I've tried deleting the time codes of those two videos, changing my render settings, and clearing up space on my drive, but the issue is still there. Can anyone shed any insight on this?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks -

Katt

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 1:51 PM

are you taking the files into compressor where you have a lot more control and you can save your settings? Although 1080 is higher quality, I find that I usually get better quality doing a 720 compression for youtube or vimeo. Might be worth a try. If you do that, be sure and go into frame controls and make sure the resizing filter quality is set to best.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2012 1:51 PM in response to kattatatt

are you taking the files into compressor where you have a lot more control and you can save your settings? Although 1080 is higher quality, I find that I usually get better quality doing a 720 compression for youtube or vimeo. Might be worth a try. If you do that, be sure and go into frame controls and make sure the resizing filter quality is set to best.

Loss of resolution exporting ProRes to H.264. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.