Previous 1 2 Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2014 1:21 AM by Daniel Loz
Viper320 Level 1 (5 points)

After upgrading to Mountain Lion, my notes synced via my IMAP mail account are not showing up in the new Notes app.

On the left side of the Notes app, I see my IMAP account where my notes should reside, but it's empty, with none of my notes.

I assume this is a new bug with the Notes app. If not, has anyone found a way to get their IMAP mail notes to show up in the new Notes app?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion
  • Alex Moskwa Level 1 (55 points)

I'm having the same problem as well.  In the systems log I gete some messages about FLPlugin.mdimporter is BAD IMPORTER.  There's also a message in the system log about trying to look for a Notes.mdimporter that doesn't actually exist on my system.   Kind of frustrating since this just worked before.

• urartu Level 1 (0 points)

exactly the same problem here. i have two imap accounts with notes (dreamhost), it used to work flawlessly on 10.7 when notes were still in mail.app. notes for ios also works without any problem. notes.app on 10.8 broke it - no notes there. syncing notes via icloud works, however - but i don't wannt to do that... please post here, if there is kind of a solution or statement by apple...

• Jace Cavacini Level 1 (35 points)

Same problem here. Sigh.

• Simon Seeber Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same problem as well, on both my MBP and the iMac I use at work. My mail is hosted with dreamhost too so I wonder if there is something wrong with their imap configuration.

• Paul Burd Level 1 (45 points)

Under Lion my notes always synced using an IMAP account hosted at Media Temple, and it worked great. When I upgraded to Mountain Lion the notes were deleted from Mail, but they were NOT added to the new Notes app (and they were deleted from the server!).

Since the upgrade I've been unable to get any notes to sync with my Media Temple IMAP account, even though the settings are exactly the same as they were in Mail (in Lion). I've seen all the same error message in the console that others have (Sandboxd mdworker, deny file-write-owner, mdimporter, addNoteToRemote returned false, etc...). Any new note created is simply moved into a (local) Recovered Notes folder.

I switched my notes to my Gmail account and strangely it worked. Notes will sync via Gmail, but NOT Media Temple.

It should also be noted that notes created on my iPhone or iPad will continue to sync with Media Temple, so it seems as though it's a problem specifically with the Notes app and my host.

I encourage everyone to file a bug report with Aplle.

• AppleSince86 Level 1 (0 points)

Works perfectly. (I'm using a Cyrus IMAP server.) To set it up properly, go into the Notes app menu, select Accounts. That shows all your mail accounts, as is appropriate for IMAP protocol "syncing". There, select the IMAP-capable mail account that you've been using in the past, and in the Use With area on the right, click in the checkbox for Notes. You should designate the same mail account on all devices.

Do not go in through System Preferences > iCloud, unless you actually have a Me.com mail account.

Mail servers which do not hew to modern IMAP standards may be problematic.

• Viper320 Level 1 (5 points)

No, IMAP notes do not work, I'm afraid. I've done the steps you mentioned many times, to no avail. This is a bug in Mountain Lion.

AppleSince86: No, it's a bug. Apple has had IMAP issues in the past. Whatever the code for IMAP handlng in Notes, it's different from the code used for the same thing in Lion Mail and iPhone (post ios 4).

BTW: HostGator here. Anyone else with this problem using that host?

• Undress85 Level 1 (0 points)

My Notes app in mountain lion is crashing all the time, it quits unexpectedly and is not syncing notes. The biggest problem though, is that I've written some notes using the app, and the next time I oppenned it, they were not there!. It has happenned to me a couple of times, so I've decided to stop using it.

• staceala Level 1 (0 points)

This is quite upsetting.  For different roles, I use both iCloud as well as an IMAP account.  The IMAP notes "just worked" under Snow Leopard, and now "it just doesn't work" under Mountain Lion.  Apple used to test EVERYTHING thoroughly, now they appear to test just their own services.  Disappointing.  I hope that this gets fixed.  I have tried all the suggestions under this thread and the other Apple Support threads, and "it just doesn't work." :-(

• theeych Level 1 (0 points)

Good day all,

I had the similar issue. I did the following to recover my notes before the upgrade:

You need to locate the StickiesDatabase under your Library folder.

Once you have a copy of your StickiesDatabase under

/Users/<insert_your_home_directory>/Library/StickiesDatabase

Export stickies created by Stickies.app

1. Install National Velocity (NV) - http://notational.net/ and start the application
    2. In Finder open your Library folder and locate StickiesDatabase
    3. Drag StickiesDatabase into the list of notes in NV main window

After you are able to see your notes in NV, it is up to you how to transfer them to Apple Notes. You could export as HTML/RTF etc or copy paste manually...  I have decided to use NV from now on.

The instructions above is from the following page:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/59525/export-all-stickies-at-once-on-os -x-10-8

Seeing as Apple BROKE this functionality, and they claim to be superior on user experience design, this is just unacceptable. It also assumes that users know about this FLAW before upgrading.

Third party apps and pre-upgrade nonsense to pre-emptively avoid an Apple-created flaw is not acceptable.

• jdk90026 Level 1 (0 points)

Late upgrade - vexed by this issue all weekend, then got the idea to give Mozilla's Thunderbird another shot.  UI is a little clunky looking, but ALL my IMAP folders are correctly displayed, INCLUDING NOTES!   syncs with iOS notes just fine!   Now watch iOS 7 **** that right up.  

Previous 1 2 Next